Error at "Installing driver kars" when running a job from command line

• Pentaho
  • Kettle
  • Pentaho
  • Pentaho Data Integration PDI
Gert Wieland's profile image
Gert Wieland posted 08-11-2020 21:50

Hi community,

I'm getting an error when trying to run a job via command line. Not sure what happened, it worked before, and it still works for transformations.

So here's the part of the log where the error occurs

2020-08-11 17:32:36.869:INFO:oejws.WebSocketServerFactory:FelixStartLevel: No DecoratedObjectFactory provided, using new org.eclipse.jetty.util.DecoratedObjectFactory[decorators=1]2020-08-11 17:32:36.871:INFO:oejsh.ContextHandler:FelixStartLevel: Started HttpServiceContext{httpContext=DefaultHttpContext [bundle=pentaho-webjars-underscore [263], contextID=default]}17:36:34,613 INFO [DriverManager] Installing driver kars.17:36:34,615 ERROR [DriverManager] Failed driver installation process.java.lang.NullPointerException: Specified service reference cannot be null. at org.apache.felix.framework.BundleContextImpl.getService(BundleContextImpl.java:460) at org.pentaho.hadoop.shim.DriverManager.installDrivers(DriverManager.java:91) at org.pentaho.osgi.impl.KarafFeatureWatcherImpl.waitForFeatures(KarafFeatureWatcherImpl.java:92) at org.pentaho.di.osgi.KarafLifecycleListener.waitForFeatures(KarafLifecycleListener.java:194) at org.pentaho.di.osgi.KarafLifecycleListener.waitForBundlesStarted(KarafLifecycleListener.java:167) at org.pentaho.di.osgi.KarafLifecycleListener.lambda$maybeStartWatchers$0(KarafLifecycleListener.java:150) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)17:36:34,616 INFO [DriverManager] Finished installing drivers kars.2020/08/11 17:36:34 - Ubuntu - Loading 0 notes2020/08/11 17:36:34 - Ubuntu - Loading 3 job entries2020/08/11 17:36:34 - Ubuntu - Loading 2 job hops

Up to line 2 it works normal, but then it hangs for 4 minutes "Installing driver kars", and throws the error messages in line 4 and 5. It then continues and executes the job succesfully.

Here's the command line instruction I use

sh /home/pentaho/pentaho/9.0/data-integration/kitchen.sh -rep=Ubuntu -user=pentaho -pass="Encrypted 697ab5ad2c38aa71a945dc6cbbace" -dir=/BI -job=testjobsendemail -logfile=/home/pentaho/pentaho/logs/BI/testjobsendemail.log -level=Detailed

Here's my setup:

Windows Virtual Machine to use PDI GUI.

Repository: PostgreSQL database on a Linux VM (Ubuntu 20.4 LTS)

Kitchen/ Pan running on that same Ubuntu machine

When I run this job from within the GUI on the Windows machine, it works fine.

Running transformations on the Ubuntu machine works fine, but all jobs have now the issue I described above.

Jobs worked before on the Ubuntu machine. Something must have changed, but I'm unsure what that could be.

I could really need a hand here. Thanks a lot in advance.

#PentahoDataIntegrationPDI
#Pentaho
#Kettle
Xin Scott's profile image
Xin Scott

Hi, I also meet the same issue on my Windows Server. But I could not 100% reproduce the issue on my side. Sometime it happened. @Gert Wieland​  , do you have an pdi development environment on your side? Try open the remote debug if you have. I'll try to reproduce the issue on my arch linux later.

Gert Wieland

Hi Xin,

Thank you very much for your reply. I made a mistake on my server and literally killed it, so I need to set it up from scratch now. I have a backup of my repository, and no important data was on it, so while annoying, it's not a disaster.

I think I'm fairly experienced with using PDI - but frankly, I didn't even know about the development environment - so thank you very much for pointing that out. I definitely want to set it up, especially now where I need to rebuild it from scratch.

I found this guide, would you say that this is a good starting point? (I'm using CE though, not EE).

Thanks again for pointing it out! I learned something new, so it's already a good day :)

Xin Scott

Hi Gert, to build a development environment, please following the steps:

1. Download the Intellij IDEA Community edition.
  2. Download the release here: https://github.com/pentaho/pentaho-kettle/releases
  3. go to: https://github.com/pentaho/pentaho-kettle, follow the read me to build the package.
  4. Unpack the package you built and edit spoon.sh
  5. Uncomment the line below "# optional line for attaching a debugger"
  6. photo_2020-08-14_21-38-52Configure the debug configuration like above.
  7. Run spoon.sh
  8. Start debug on IDEA

I'm new in CE, but has resolved several bugs by remote debug. I think it should help you

Gert Wieland

Hi Xin, thank yo u very much for your detailed instructions. I'll install it right now, and I'll report back later.

You just opened another door, I really appreciate your help.

Xin Scott

Hi Gert,

I found the solution. Clear the karaf cache is the right way. Maybe the karaf cache is broken by force stopped the job/transformation. After removing all the content under $KETTLE_HOME/system/karaf/caches/, the issue disappeared.

Gert Wieland

Hi Xin,

Thanks so much! Right now, I don't have karaf chache I could work with (sigh... ;) ), but I'm in the midst of reinstalling everything. I'll report back here how things go.

Thanks again for your thoughtful feedback, I already learned a huge lot from you!