Sporadic Error (ExceptionOnUpdatingFile:) Saving To Repository

• Pentaho
  • Kettle
  • Pentaho
  • Pentaho Data Integration PDI
Leighton Jones's profile image
Leighton Jones posted 08-10-2020 15:28

Morning folks!

Long time PDI user here; I have a few bugs logged over the years - but this error has got me thoroughly stuck - so I'm hoping you might be able to help.

I'll be working in Kettle, and I'll hit save and I'll get the 'Please contact your administrator' dialogue box. In the logs (sample attached) I get 'com.sun.xml.ws.server.sei.TieHandler.createResponse ExceptionOnUpdatingFile: updating file with id "938a4339-db22-448a-b753-fce020112e27"'

Most of the time - maybe 80%; the transformation saves fine, but at numerous points throughout the day I'll get a run of these error messages back to back - and then the file will save fine.

What's interesting is that I get this error message on two entirely different environments.

Both environment use Pentaho Server Community 'archive' installs, and I've been through the config files numerous times; but still can't spot any problems.

Home: Windows 10 or Ubuntu Linux workstation with PDI 9.0 connecting (JDBC) to the Pentaho BI (community) server which is a Fedora Server installation hosting a Postgres repository database via JDBC drivers.

Work: Windows workstation with PDI 9.0 connecting (MS-SQL Native) to the Pentaho BI server which is on a Windows 2012 R2 server connecting to a MS-SQL (2017) repository database via MS-SQL native drivers with integrated security.

• Work Workstation Java:
  • java version "1.8.0_91"
  • Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_91-b14)
  • Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.91-b14, mixed mode, sharing)

• Work Server Java
  • java version "1.8.0_251"
  • Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_251-b08)
  • Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.251-b08, mixed mode)

For the most part - everything works fine. I have no issues with Quartz launching and executing jobs. Connections to DB's work fine. The web-interface to the server works fine. The only thing that doesn't work as well as what it seems it should is this periodic stupid error saving!! It's making me a bit nuts.

I've turn on/off DB caching in Kettle, I've tried altering the cache settings in one of the server config files, I've searched the web high and low but aside from one other bug-report ticket in Pentaho Jira it seems I'm the only one experiencing this issue.

As such, this points more towards me having configured something incorrectly than something within the software - but I can't see for the life of me where I've got wrong!

Thanks in advance!

#Kettle
#Pentaho
#PentahoDataIntegrationPDI
Jens Rogier's profile image
Jens Rogier

Not an answer:

Same problem with same error here. Windows Server & PostgreSQL though.

Jose Hidalgo's profile image
Jose Hidalgo

Did you find any solution? I have the same error with 9.3