Hitachi Content Platform​

Importing a package on a different system

• Object Storage
  • Hitachi Content Intelligence HCI
Eduardo Javier Huerta Yero's profile image
Eduardo Javier Huerta Yero posted 02-27-2020 12:30

A customer created a package on a QA system and it's trying to import it into a production system. They elected to export a package instead of a bundle because they wanted to carry a custom plugin and some client certificates.

My understanding is that packages can only be used to restore the system where they were created. This seems to be confirmed by the fact that importing the package on a different system fails. Now to the questions:

• A package seems to be a common ZIP file containing several JSON files and some other stuff. Is it possible to manually edit it so that it can be accepted by a different system? Maybe removing some stuff, editing cluster name, etc?
  • If not, is it possible to convert a package to a bundle by removing everything except pipelines, workflows, data connection and content classes?

#HitachiContentIntelligenceHCI
Clifford Grimm's profile image
Clifford Grimm

Not clear what problem they are having. I have used a package to selectively upload only the required parts like custom plugins and workflow items without issue. I just made sure to unselect the system items that might have been included during the export and is not valid on the destination system. But maybe mine was a bit more simple.

As for cobbling together a bundle from the JSON files in the package file, that will be a lot of work. And likely to be unsuccessful. The JSON in the package is quite different than what would be found in the bundle files. So can't recommend it.

Eduardo Javier Huerta Yero

Thanks Cliff. What happens is that either they get an error uploading the package OR the system just sits there for a long while and gives up. After the unsuccessful attempt the system appears to be unstable for a while, reporting very high CPU usage. I tried importing their package into a HALO HCI VM and it was unsuccessful as well, so it doesn't look like the problem is in their cluster.

It's very likely they exported things that made no sense in the destination system. Looking at some JSON files I see references to the QA cluster name, for instance.

To make it more interesting, they unwisely got rid of the QA system before they imported the package into the production system so there is no way to redo the export,

Thanks anyway. Any ideas are more than welcome.

Clifford Grimm

Ok. I'm starting to remember having the same kind of issues where a package import just wedged. I believe it was when I included the plugin bundles. I was able to import a few small things from the package successfully, but as soon as I included the plugins things did not go very well. So then I ended getting ahold of the plugin and loading that the "normal" way, and then importing the other stuff from the package.

Another time, I didn't have a healthy HCI system so I got wedged that way as well. Some service like maybe Elastic Search didn't have all required instances or something.

But I do also recall some times it takes a LOT of patience and nervous nail biting while a package uploaded. This approach worked some times when there wasn't too much involved.

Sorry, mostly just confirming that package upload can be painful and might have to done piecemeal.

Clifford Grimm

I was playing around a bit and if my theory is correct that it is choking on the plugin package import, you might be able to get around it.

Expand the package and identify the plugin jar file. It won't be named .jar, but the name should be obvious. Copy this file and rename to a .jar file. Then try to upload the plugin bundle you just renamed the "normal" way in the admin GUI.

Then try and import the lesser items like the certificates and workflows ONLY from the package.

Eduardo Javier Huerta Yero

Thanks Cliff, this is awesome. Did everything and it behaved a little better (imported the plugin correctly, took less time importing the package). Still having issues though, I believe it's because the package contains "Workflow Results" as well as pipelines, workflows, data connections, etc. Trying to mess with the package to remove these results is tiresome: every time it fails the "import package" option becomes unusable and I need to discard my Halo VM and start it over.

Will let you know how this evolves. Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me with this!

Clifford Grimm

IMHO Workflow results are pretty much useless when going from a Dev to a Prod system. Honestly, really have no idea when they would be except for perhaps a system restore. But even then, they are likely stale and of no use. It is just information about the runs made while in the Dev environment. Try without workflow results being imported.