Pentaho

View Only

Upgrading tomcat version on pentaho bundle

• Pentaho
  • Pentaho
nico dado's profile image
nico dado posted 07-04-2018 08:16

Hi all,

I use a pre-configured version Pentaho 7.1 that comes with Apache Tomcat Version 8.0.43.

Now the Apache Tomcat team announces that support for Apache Tomcat 8.0.x it's over (on 30 June 2018).

How can I upgrade my 7.1 Pentaho installation to latest version of Apache Tomcat?

Thanks!!

#Pentaho
Alexis Badillo's profile image
Alexis Badillo

Hi Domenico,

For Pentaho 7 you would have to remain on Tomcat 8.0 as we use Oracle Java 1.8. If you would like to upgrade to the latest 8.0 codeline you should:

1. Stop your Pentaho Server.
  2. Make a backup if you wish (probably a good idea).
  3. Rename your current "tomcat" folder to something like "tomcat_old".
  4. Install the new minor version update of Tomcat into the directory(where your current tomcat folder lives.
  5. Delete webapps folder in new tomcat, copy the webapps folder from old tomcat into the new tomcat.
  6. Add the Pentaho specific jar files from the tomcat/lib folder in the old tomcat to the tomcat/lib folder in the new tomcat. This might include things like the jar files commons-logging, h2, hsqldb, postgresl, mysql, oracle, or sqlserver drivers. (DO NOT just copy and paste everything from the old tomcat/lib into the new tomcat/lib)
  7. Copy the "server" and "script" folders (if they exist in your old tomcat) from the old tomcat to the new tomcat.
  8. Delete the conf folder in the new tomcat, replace with the conf folder from the old tomcat.
  9. If on Windows, copy the pentaho executable file from the tomcat/bin folder in the old tomcat and put it in the new tomcat/bin folder of the new tomcat.
  10. Make sure to rename your new tomcat folder to "tomcat" if you haven't done so already.
  11. Restart the server

Regards,

Alex

nico dado's profile image
nico dado

Thank a lot Alex,

Your tips were precious!

The only change was on step 4; considering that Pentaho 8.1 comes with Tomcat Version 8.5.27 then I copy the tomcat folder from the last version of Pentaho into pentaho-server directory (the 7.1, my target version).

And...it works.