Hitachi Content Platform​

HCI login issues:An authentication request unexpectedly failed for username

• Object Storage
  • Hitachi Content Intelligence HCI
Hitendra Talluri's profile image
Hitendra Talluri posted 11-27-2018 12:21

did anyone see similar issues? all i can find in the catalina log is the below message

com.hds.ensemble.plugins.service.adminApp/catalina.log:2018-11-27 12:13:22,743 INFO [listRoles] [catalina-exec-3] com.hds.ensemble.event.core.EventManager [EventManager.java:149] Event: Event{identifier=5013, subject=Unexpectedly failed authentication request by user xxxx, userUuid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001, userName=system, severity=INFO, subsystem=User, objectId=99999999-9999-9999-9999-999999999999, objectDisplayName=null, objectType=Cluster, objectSourceId=null, objectSourceType=null, message=An authentication request unexpectedly failed for username xxxxx., time=1543320802743}

#HitachiContentIntelligenceHCI
Jonathan Chinitz's profile image
Jonathan Chinitz

https://community.hitachivantara.com/message/35779-401-unauthorised-when-using-auth-api

Try the above document and see what error is returned. Post it here.

Data Conversion's profile image
Data Conversion

This is usually caused by an issue with the user in the Active Directory, eg not having  a principal name.

Hitendra Talluri

gives the same error "unauthorized"

curl -ik -X POST https://10.32.148.226:8000/auth/oauth -d grant_type=password -d username=tallurhi -d password=xxxxxxx -d scope=* -d realm=UBSPROD -d client_id=hci-client -d client_secret=hci-client

HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized

Set-Cookie: JwtCookie=deleteMe; Path=/; Max-Age=0; Expires=Tue, 27-Nov-2018 21:34:13 GMT; Secure

WWW-Authenticate: Bearer realm="application"

Content-Length: 0

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 21:34:13 GMT

Server: HCI

Hitendra Talluri

i can confirm that it is not credential issues as i see the below

1. When i do ldapsearch from the linux instance i can connect to the domain using the credentials and search queries works without issues

2.When i perform a test before adding the Identity provider it connects sucessfuly

3.Admin console returns not authorized and search console says invalid credentials.

Hitendra Talluri

I think i figured out the issue(query timeout??) ...here is what i observed.

the customer BASE DN for User and group is different

-when i set the base DN to a level above where the group and users are available i always get the error invalid credentials.

-When i set the base DN to the level of User directory then i get "unauthorised" error

-When i set the base DN to group directory and below then i get "invalid credentials"

Is it possible to modify the plugin the mention both user and group base DN separately to avoid search timeout or hitting search limit.

Hitendra Talluri

The problem was principal name mismatch. Thanks Jon for providing additional info on logging.