View Only

PDI 9.1 extremely long Transformation loading time

• Pentaho
  • Kettle
  • Pentaho
  • Pentaho Data Integration PDI
Stefan H.'s profile image
Stefan H. posted 11-11-2020 13:36

Because of lots of bugs in version 8 we had to switch to version 9. That also was buggy and not even able to load jobs and transformations at all.

Version 9.1 again was able to load Transformations, but the loading times are extremely high. A transformation with 71 steps that loaded in a few seconds in earlier versions (and still loads quickly if I load it in an earlier version) now takes way over two minutes to load. Also the execution of the transformation takes this time longer than before.

What is the problem and how can it be resolved?

Everything runs from the file system of a Windows server, no server connection involved.

#PentahoDataIntegrationPDI
#Pentaho
#Kettle
Stefan H.

Yes, I know that PDI is, I use it for over a decade. But that does not answer my question.

Sergio Ribeiro's profile image
Sergio Ribeiro

Hello @Stefan H.​,

From your description, that problem was fixed under https://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-18885

If you're an EE user, you have the fix on 9.1.0.1 Service Pack.

If you're a CE user, besides upgrading to EE, your options are building from source (the issue has the link to the specific commit) or wait for the next CE version.

Regards,

Sérgio Ribeiro

Porto - Portugal

Stefan H.

Thanks for your answer.

Anyway: We are using the CE version. Since Hitachi decided to no longer provide any kind of actually working support for the CE version and you almost never get any kind of answer here (that was completely different in the old forums when Pentaho still was a single entity and not bought by Hitachi) we decided against buying the EE version. We do not believe that we will get better support if we give them money.

In addition it is a very bad move to patch an error this grave only in the EE version and neglecting and postponing the CE edition just to urge users to buy EE. That is another cause why we will not do that, especially with HOP being around the corner. We decided to bear with the myriads of bugs unfixed for years in PDI for now and then switch to another solution, be it HOP or something else. Everything will have better support than this.

Hitachi basically destroyed the PDI community edition with a lot of doubtful decisions and by alienating the community. This community support here is a laugh (because all the active people from the old forums gave up hope and went away). If Hitachi thinks they will get a single cent from us acting this way, they are deluded.

Stefan H.

Addition: I do not think that the Jira issue applies to our problem. PDI does not do that after a crash or "failure", it does it every time I open or run a transformation.

Plus: If I click the link to the commit on github I only get a 404.

Stefan H.

Compilation of PDI 9.1.0.1 fails with errors:

[ERROR] COMPILATION ERROR :

[INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------

[ERROR] /C:/Users/xxxxx/Desktop/pentaho-kettle-9.1.0.1/core/src/main/java/org/pentaho/di/core/Result.java:[32,33] package javax.xml.bind.annotation does not exist

[ERROR] /C:/Users/xxxxx/Desktop/pentaho-kettle-9.1.0.1/core/src/main/java/org/pentaho/di/core/Result.java:[65,2] cannot find symbol