Network Attached Storage​

View Only

windows 10 client displays wrong size on disk for HNAS cifs share

• Network Attached Storage
  • Hitachi Network Attached Storage NAS
ralf buschmann's profile image
ralf buschmann posted 03-11-2019 09:55

Hi,

I have copied files with different file sizes to a smb share residing on a HNAS filesystem and checked the "size on disk" property on my windows explorer (windows 10): here are the results:

1. A 15KB txt file has size on disk = 1 MB

2. A 5,86 MB pdf file has size on disk = 8 MB

3. A stubbed file of 2,5 GB has size on disk = 2,5 GB !!

I have verified that on the filesystem on the HNAS. After the migration process of DM2Cloud has been finished, the file has been removed out of the filesystem, means the fs size on the HNAS has been reduced of the 2.5 GB, so everything ok, but my Windows 10 client is displaying still the 2.5 GB!

Anyone an idea why windows 10 has this faulty display?

Thx and best regards

Ralf

#HitachiNetworkAttachedStorageNAS
Albert Hagopian's profile image
Albert Hagopian

We are planning a release, hopefully to be available by end of March '19 (13.5.533x) that should address this anomaly (you can reference D121876 when the release notes are published).

Please contact your local CS&S professional to help coordinate an upgrade.

Simon Crosland

Skip Dobrin

ralf buschmann

Al,

Thanks for the quick answer. Means that this "anomaly" (bug?) is really a faulty display and only the genuine size is allocated on disk? Means 15KB file is allocating 15KB and a stub file 4 or 8KB?

ralf buschmann

Al,

Any NEWS regarding 13.5 ??

Albert Hagopian's profile image
Albert Hagopian

The latest 13.5 is Q-code and can be obtained by your acct team representative prior to GA (a special request must be made by the acct team to the product support manager for early-out).

Simon Crosland