View Only

V2I with HUS-VM Block Storage

• Flash Storage
  • Flash Storage
  • Storage
  • Hitachi Unified Storage HUS
Federico Borja's profile image
Federico Borja posted 09-03-2018 18:39

I have installed the V2I software, but when configuring it from the plugin on the vcenter web client I do not have the tab for the block storage, only for the H-NAS

V2I version 3.2.56

vCenter version 6.0

What could be the problem?

Thanks

#FlashStorage
#HitachiUnifiedStorageHUS
John Mcdevitt's profile image
John Mcdevitt

Hello Federico

Do you have CCI installed on the V2I box with a command device from your HUSVM?  Do you have a HORCM instance running?

Federico Borja

Hi John, thanks for answering

Yes I have the cci installed on the same server as the V2I, and also the HORCM instance 0 is running

C:\HORCM\etc>raidqry -h

Model  : RAID-Manager/WindowsNT/x64

Ver&Rev: 01-46-03/02

Usage  : raidqry [options] for HORC[0]

C:\HORCM\etc>horcmstart

starting HORCM inst 0

HORCM inst 0 starts successfully.

I have noticed that in the inqraid $Volume -CLI -fv command output I see that it does not indicate OPEN-V-CM,  instead it shows OPEN-V

C:\HORCM\etc>inqraid $Volume -CLI -fv

DEVICE_FILE                                                  PORT    SERIAL  LDEV CTG  H/M/12  SSID R:Group PRODUCT_ID

Volume{90512c95-ad53-11e8-8a11-005056977842}\Vol3\Dsk1       CL8-A   xxxxxx    67   -  s/s/ss  0004 A:00003 OPEN-V

I have created a new command device and connect it to a VM as Physical RDM, but I have the same issue

What could be the cause?

Thanks

John Mcdevitt

I have seen that behavior before.  I am guessing that when you set the command device attributes on the LDEV, it was already presented to VMWare.  In that scenario, inqraid does not display the device with "CM" included, even if you remove and re-add the device.  You need to have the command device attributes set *before* the ldev is presented to ESX (not just to your VM) in order for it to be recognized with the "CM" bit.

Federico Borja

Ok John, I'm going to try that now

Thanks

Federico Borja

Hi Jhon, it worked fine as you indicated. Thanks

But in the vcenter, the HSS plugin still does not show the tab for the block storage, only for H-NAS

C:\HORCM\etc>horcmstart

starting HORCM inst 0

HORCM inst 0 starts successfully.

C:\HORCM\etc>inqraid -fxg -CLI $Phys

DEVICE_FILE     PORT    SERIAL  LDEV CTG  H/M/12  SSID R:Group PRODUCT_ID

Harddisk0       -            -     -   -       -     -       - Virtual disk

Harddisk1       CL6-A-1 2xxxxx    7D   -       -  0004 A:00003 OPEN-V-CM

I have a doubt, the HSS plugin in the vcenter should not show the tab for the block storage even if it does not have the CCI correctly installed and configured?

Or is this necessary to see the block storage tab?

Regards

John Mcdevitt

Interesting...  It sounds like only the HNAS components of V2I were installed.  I would open a case so the GSC can gather and review the logs from the installation.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help! 

Federico Borja

Hi John, I see this information on the guide.

ts

It does not say much, but apparently it's required

I also noticed that the version of the V2I that I have installed (3.2.56) is compatible with the HUS-VM since version 73-03-42 and we have the 73-03-33. So we need to update it

Regards

Data Conversion's profile image
Data Conversion
Attachment  View in library
V2I.PNG 21 KB