Pentaho

View Only

Need to Create an email from a .txt file, and Send email from JOB... please help...

• Pentaho
  • Kettle
  • Pentaho
  • Pentaho Data Integration PDI
David Fluharty's profile image
David Fluharty posted 05-08-2020 16:53

I have been given a task to Convert .txt files, created from our Mainframe into emails. I am new to Pentaho, I have Created a Job and call a transformation where I am Moving the .txt file to memory, and using a "String cut" to separate the Subject and body... I have Attached a Sample .txt file. I am wanting to pass the Variables back into the Job and send the emails from the Job. But can't seem to find the right combination for this... my variables are always blank when returning to the Job. The First Line of the .txt File will be the Subject, the rest of the .txt file will be the Body... Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

#Kettle
#PentahoDataIntegrationPDI
#Pentaho
Andrew Cave's profile image
Andrew Cave

Are you using the 'Set Variables' step in the transformation to set the variables to the vallues you've pulled from the file?

David Fluharty's profile image
David Fluharty

Andrew, Yes I am, but had my Varianables defined wrong... Once I went back and reread so more documentation on this I realized a couple mistakes... One, DO NOT , Define your Variables like ${...}, Two, You have to SAVE you transformation, before your change will take affect. As I said, New to this Pentaho Stuff. Thanks for you insight, Your Response made me go back and reevaluate that step and I found the problem.