Pentaho

View Only

Unable to use CSV Input with file on a UNC (network path)

• Pentaho
  • Kettle
  • Pentaho
  • Pentaho Data Integration PDI
Sam Alexander's profile image
Sam Alexander posted 04-23-2019 18:40

I'm using Data Integration 8.1 on Windows, and using CSV Input I have the CSV on a network drive - \\DevServer\Dev\test.csv for example.  When I create the CSV File and put the path in Filename I click Get Fields which loads the files just fine.  But when I Preview or use the CSV Input to say feed a table I get this error:

2019/04/23 13:30:11 - Claims - STG_CLAIM.CSV 2.0 - ERROR (version 8.1.0.0-365, build 8.1.0.0-365 from 2018-04-30 09.42.24 by buildguy) : Unexpected error

2019/04/23 13:30:11 - Claims - STG_CLAIM.CSV 2.0 - ERROR (version 8.1.0.0-365, build 8.1.0.0-365 from 2018-04-30 09.42.24 by buildguy) : org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleException:

2019/04/23 13:30:11 - Claims - STG_CLAIM.CSV 2.0 - java.io.FileNotFoundException: file:\DevServer\Dev\test.csv (The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)

Even when I browse to the CSV it finds it fine, but it just won't work.  Any thoughts or tricks?  If I move the file to C:\ and use C:\test.csv it works fine, so I know it's not the file.  Thanks.

#PentahoDataIntegrationPDI
#Pentaho
#Kettle
Dean Flinter's profile image
Dean Flinter

From reading your error I think the issue is that you need 2 back slashes before the server

So \DevServer\Dev\test.csv should be \\DevServer\Dev\test.csv

Sam Alexander's profile image
Sam Alexander

Actually I found that the CSV Import component does not support UNC paths, only local paths.  Though I don't have the bug report handy it's already noted a few times as others have ran across this.  I hadn't seen these until much further research after making this post.  Apparently UNC works on some components but not others.  My work around since I'm on Windows was to use mklink to create a symbolic link to the network share, and this appears to be working well.