View Only

HNAS iSCSI to ESX v6U3

• Infrastructure Solutions
  • VMware
  • Network Attached Storage
  • Hitachi Network Attached Storage NAS
John Ridings's profile image
John Ridings posted 04-30-2018 21:20

Does HNAS support iSCSI connection to VMware ?

I see lots of NFS material and guidance, but nothing specific to folks using iSCSI.  The VMware driver/plugin support also only mentions NFS as well.

VMware HCL shows support for iSCSI, but when reading File Services Admin Guide for v13.3, VMware is not listed as a supported initiator.

regards,

john

#Vmware
#HitachiNetworkAttachedStorageNAS
Albert Hagopian's profile image
Albert Hagopian

NFS v3 is the NAS bread-and-butter protocol as it is FPGA accelerated whilst the iSCSI target driver is not; the V2I dashboard plugin also checks to ensure the mount point is NFS based. Also, placing a block device such as iSCSI on top of a NAS(whilst 100% supported) to access the iSCSI LU residing under the NAS adds extra overhead. You must consider the added latency when attempting to do such a configuration. Whilst technically feasible, your best option for using iSCSI with VMware with HitachiVantara storage is to use the all-block solution. There are many NAS customers happily using NFS v3 with the NAS solution.

John Ridings's profile image
John Ridings

Thanks Al.

Just cause you could, doesn't mean you should, I get it.

and I'm not say'n I deployed it, but it did end up in my lap.... 

You mentioned "(whilst 100% supported)" is this a general statement to iSCSI on HNAS or more specifically VMware > iSCSI > HNAS as the doc on the partner portal doesn't

Simon Crosland's profile image
Simon Crosland

iSCSI is fully supported on HNAS.  We will also support iSCSI with VMware initiators, but we would prefer customers to use NFS with VMware as it gives a better experience and better performance.

Albert Hagopian's profile image
Albert Hagopian

>>and I'm not say'n I deployed it, but it did end up in my lap....

Is that to say, it has deployed, but you were not the one to do the deployment?

can you mail message me privately with the customer name and email a set of diagnostics from the system (gather from the SMU) so we can have record in our internal portal?

Data Conversion's profile image
Data Conversion

Hi John,

not sure you are aware that you can use iSCSI on VSP G array "block controller", without HNAS module.

You can add 4x 10Gbps LAN port increments in the VSP G "block controller" for storage capacity consumption via iSCSI.

Kind Regards,

Marin

Simon Crosland's profile image
Simon Crosland

That's true, but there is no simple way of migrating existing iSCSI LUs from the NAS module to the block controller iSCSI.  The only option would be to create a new VMware datastore using a block controller iSCSI LU as the target, and then tell VMware to migrate (copy) all the data.