View Only

run report designer in PDI

• Pentaho
  • Kettle
  • Pentaho
  • Pentaho Data Integration PDI
israel zapata's profile image
israel zapata posted 08-22-2019 16:43

Can I run the report designer in Data Integration?

I need to make a bank account statement

and run it automatically, is this posible with Pentaho Data Integration?

#Pentaho
#Kettle
#PentahoDataIntegrationPDI
Dean Flinter's profile image
Dean Flinter

Yes there is the Pentaho Reporting Output step

You create the report in PRD, then in PDI you pass the report location and output location to the step. Then select the output format

If the report contains parameters you can pass those also

israel zapata

sorry, I'm new to pentaho, what would the flow be like? What option is used in the input and output if in the PRD I generate a PDF?

israel zapata

do i need to make a transformation or just a job?

israel zapata

I mean how do I charge the PRD file in a PDI job?

Dean Flinter's profile image
Dean Flinter

Attached is a very basic example of how to set it up. If your report has no parameters or you don't want to pass anything to them, then ignore/delete the section with them

For a lot of steps, they have to be initialised by feeding them a stream of data so in this example I am feeding the report output step with some text I generated using the Data Grid step

Transformations and jobs work differently. Transformations are where the majority of work can be done, depending on use case. You can then use a job to connect several transformations and even other jobs together. Jobs have a defined start and end point and steps in the job are executed sequentially. Transformations on the other hand are executed in parallel. As such, if you have a transformation and part of it relies on the completion of another part in the transformation, it will not work. You would need to separate the two parts and use a job to run them sequentially

Jobs also allow you to pass results and variables between transformations/jobs. So in this PRD output example you could set the location of the output as a variable and pass it to the mail step in a job for attaching it

israel zapata

thank's Dean Flinter, I do it with no data grid, just with the Pentaho Reporting output and it works. The PRD run perfect