• Data Protection
  • Hitachi TrueCopy
  • Hitachi Universal Replicator HUR
  • Object Storage
  • Hitachi Content Platform HCP
  • Object Storage
Aleksandr Rainchik's profile image
Aleksandr Rainchik posted 11-27-2019 05:35

Hello, it's easy to setup Active-Active replication for two sites. You can create a single Active-Active replication link between clusters A and B and everything works ok. What is the correct way to setup Multi-site replication where you can have 3 or more clusters. Let's say you have three clusters A, B and C and you want to have tenants replicates across all three of them.

Is setting up a circular replication a right way to do it? With replication links A-B, B-C, A-C

bitmap

So in this case, if I upload large file to site A, it will get replicate to site B over link A-B and to site C over link A-C. Will replication link B-C get confused with two copies of the same object at sites B and C?

What if replication link A-C is slower than A-B? So site B will get it much faster than site C. Will site B try to replicate it to site C while site A is still replicating it to site C as well?

I want fast/local access to objets, so I'm interested in storing full copies, not using Geo-Distributed erasure coding, if it makes any difference.

Please share your experience with multi-site HCP replication.

#HitachiUniversalReplicatorHUR
#HitachiTrueCopy
#HitachiContentPlatformHCP
#ObjectStorage
Caroline Jacquet's profile image
Caroline Jacquet

@Michael Ratner​, do you think you could help answer this question?

Noel Lucas's profile image
Noel Lucas

A-B and B-C is all you need. You do not need the C-A replication link. Be aware, Active/Active replication is not the same as Active/Passive.

Active/Active= metadata is replicated first. Object data is replicated at a lower priority later.

Active/Passive = metadata is replicated first, and then object data is replicated next, immediately.

Basically, Active/Passive is the only option if you are either wanting to migrate data from one HCP to another.

You can create A/P links first, and once the sites are in sync, change them to A/A. However, be aware, there is NO changing from A/A to A/P.