View Only

Which Mysql-connector-java to use?

• Pentaho
  • Pentaho
Richard Ayo's profile image
Richard Ayo posted 05-27-2021 15:29

Hi guys,

Please advise me on the following:

• Which mysql-connector-java to use for metadata editor version 7.1.0.0?

I have tried 3 different ones (5.1.17, 5.1.42, 8.0.2) two connected to DB but threw error at download -> Unable to get list of rows from ResultSet : Couldn't close query: resultset or prepared statements. Unknown system variable 'OPTION'

Thank you.

#Pentaho
Sergio Ribeiro's profile image
Sergio Ribeiro

Hello @Richard Ayo​,

I think that any version would work but, as version 5.1.42 was released one month prior to Pentaho 7.1, I'd assume that versions 5.1.40/41/42 should work perfectly...

Also, MySQL dropped the 'SET OPTION' syntax since version 5.6.5 (and MariaDB on its 10.0), could that be your problem? In this case, try changing "SET OPTION" to just "SET".

Regards,

Sérgio Ribeiro

Porto - Portugal

Richard Ayo's profile image
Richard Ayo

Thanks @Sergio Ribeiro​ ,

I've used 5.1.17/40/42 & 8.0.12 but I've ran into the same error with all. Before trying 5.1.41, I would like to look into changing "SET OPTION" to just "SET". Do you know where this system variable 'OPTION' is set? Thank you.

Regards,

Richard

Sergio Ribeiro's profile image
Sergio Ribeiro

Hi again @Richard Ayo​,

Found this bug report: https://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=66659

It refers specifically to Pentaho (version 4.3) and MySQL (version 5.6.6 - the one that removed that syntax).

It seems that the option is added by the driver itself...

As a workaround, it is stated that using connector version 5.1.26 works with Pentaho.

But, logically thinking, that would mean that any subsequent version would also work (as the "SET OPTION" would have been removed from the code)... and you say that you tested 5.1.42...

Maybe you're using this syntax somewhere?

Note that there's always the option of downgrading MySQL to a version prior to 5.6.6.

Regards,

Sérgio Ribeiro

Porto - Portugal