Flash Storage​

View Only

Gx00 fail 3 disk on Raid 5 ( 6D + 1P )

• Flash Storage
  • Flash Storage
Mai Huy's profile image
Mai Huy posted 08-06-2020 15:54

We have the VSP G200 had the 3 disk failed . While i log in to Device Manager and i see the Ldev has been blocked and 3 disk have the status " failed " . I bought the 3 hard disk new and will replace to it . What should i do next ? now i can not blocked the fail disk because it need restore the Ldev . Please help me .

#FlashStorage
Roberto Seldner's profile image
Roberto Seldner

How and when did these drives fail? Did they fail at the same time? Or did you accumulate these failures over time? Did you not have sufficient spares configured? The fact that the ldev is blocked tells me the data was not able to copy to spare. RAID 5 cannot withstand two simultaneous failures, let alone three. ---> If you care about the data, do not take any action until you have spoken to Hitachi Vantara Support to see what, if anything, can be done. <----

Mai Huy's profile image
Mai Huy

Dear Seldner ,

Thanks for your reply . Our customers don't know much about storage, when they informed us about hard drive failure and we found out 3 hard drives were broken including 1 spare hard drive. They do not need to keep the data because they have backed up the data. Currently, we do not insert the hard drive because we cannot block the hard drive slot to insert the new hard drive and Portal force us to restore the ldev.

Roberto Seldner's profile image
Roberto Seldner

Do you have support for this system?

You can try restoring the LDEV in Storage Navigator (Select LDEV, More Actions, Restore), and then replacing the drives. See the "Restoring blocked LDEVs" procedure in the Gx00 Provisioning Guide. But I'm guessing this might fail.