Can’t explore repository with mac os big sur 11.0

• Pentaho
  • Kettle
  • Pentaho
  • Pentaho Data Integration PDI
Simon Leuenberger's profile image
Simon Leuenberger posted 11-17-2020 08:50

Hi experts,

I can’t explore repository with mac os big sur 11.0.

I’ve recently updated my mac to OS big sur 11.0.1. I’ve istalled PDI-CE-9.0.

PDI starts normally and I made a connection to the repository, but I can’t explore the files in the repository.

After click on the button “explorer repository” the following message appears:

org/eclipse/swt/custom/TableTreeItem

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/swt/custom/TableTreeItem

at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.initializeHandler(OpenStrategy.java:269)

at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.<init>(OpenStrategy.java:107)

at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.hookControl(StructuredViewer.java:1161)

at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.ColumnViewer.hookControl(ColumnViewer.java:87)

at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.AbstractTreeViewer.hookControl(AbstractTreeViewer.java:1415)

at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.TreeViewer.hookControl(TreeViewer.java:249)

at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.TreeViewer.<init>(TreeViewer.java:124)

at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.TreeViewer.<init>(TreeViewer.java:111)

at org.pentaho.ui.xul.swt.tags.SwtTree.layout(SwtTree.java:237)

at org.pentaho.ui.xul.impl.XulParser.parse(XulParser.java:186)

at org.pentaho.ui.xul.impl.XulParser.parse(XulParser.java:171)

at org.pentaho.ui.xul.impl.XulParser.parseDocument(XulParser.java:85)

at org.pentaho.ui.xul.impl.AbstractXulLoader.loadXul(AbstractXulLoader.java:127)

at org.pentaho.ui.xul.swt.SwtXulLoader.loadXul(SwtXulLoader.java:128)

at org.pentaho.ui.xul.swt.SwtXulLoader.loadXul(SwtXulLoader.java:122)

at org.pentaho.ui.xul.impl.AbstractXulLoader.loadXul(AbstractXulLoader.java:239)

at org.pentaho.di.ui.repository.repositoryexplorer.RepositoryExplorer.<init>(RepositoryExplorer.java:78)

at org.pentaho.di.ui.repository.repositoryexplorer.RepositoryExplorer.<init>(RepositoryExplorer.java:140)

at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon$25$1.run(Spoon.java:4075)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:40)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:185)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java:4124)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3791)

at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.readAndDispatch(Spoon.java:1385)

at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.waitForDispose(Spoon.java:7968)

at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.start(Spoon.java:9350)

at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.main(Spoon.java:711)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)

at org.pentaho.commons.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:92)

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.swt.custom.TableTreeItem

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:382)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:418)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:351)

... 38 more

So I thought to replace the swt.jar file through an newer version, but I also couldn’t find espacalliy version of mac os big sur 11.0.

Has anybody an idea how to fix? I appreciate for you help. Thanks

#PentahoDataIntegrationPDI
#Pentaho
#Kettle
Sergio Ribeiro's profile image
Sergio Ribeiro

Hello @Simon Leuenberger​,

Check this thread: https://community.hitachivantara.com/s/question/0D52S00008AkM8DSAV

It may help you.

Regards,

Sérgio Ribeiro

Porto - Portugal

Karel Reynaldo's profile image
Karel Reynaldo

I tried replacing the swt jar, but then there were problems with xul.

Problem solved downgrading jdk to: Java SE Development Kit 8u202 (https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase/javase8-archive-downloads.html)

Simon Leuenberger's profile image
Simon Leuenberger

Hi experts @Sergio Ribeiro​ & @Karel Reynaldo​  many thanks for your answer.

Now I get the solutions.

I've installed

AND

• JRE 8u202

I can open and explore the connected repository by using the command cmd+O or go to the menu "file" in the tasklist and use the submenu "Open...".

It might be a workaround but it still works great.

hth - greets Simon

Kevin Casemore's profile image
Kevin Casemore

Hi @Sergio Ribeiro​ , @Karel Reynaldo​ , @Simon Leuenberger​ 

Thank you for your informative posts. I'm seeing the same issue around PDI File > Open > job/transform explorer; the program crashes. This is since an update of Mac OS X to Big Sur 11.0.1.

As advised I've applied that latest swt.jar to ~/libswt/osx64. I've tried to open up directly from this path as ./spoon.sh and also from the icon, but still the same results.

I've upgraded to v9.1 (I was on 8.3 before I think) but still the same. And I've also updated my JDK but, again, still the same. Interestingly, if I disconnect my repository (it's file based, local machine) beforehand, I *can* use the explorer no problem, so it appears to be some connection issue.

spoon.log doesn't seem to give anything, this is the last thing logged:

2020/12/10 17:04:32 - RepositoriesMeta - Reading repositories XML file: /Users/kevin/.kettle/repositories.xml Graphics2D from BufferedImage lacks BUFFERED_IMAGE hint 2020/12/10 17:04:33 - Spoon - Connected to metastore : ETL, added to delegating metastore 2020/12/10 17:04:33 - RepositoriesMeta - Reading repositories XML file: /Users/kevin/.kettle/repositories.xml

On the terminal (via ./spoon.sh) I can some output, again pointing to Java I think. Also I seem to get some warning around "nil point" issues when it first fires up, before crashing.

2020/12/10 17:04:33 - Spoon - Connected to metastore : ETL, added to delegating metastore2020/12/10 17:04:33 - RepositoriesMeta - Reading repositories XML file: /Users/kevin/.kettle/repositories.xml2020-12-10 17:04:33.808 java[17957:578562] nil host used in call to allowsSpecificHTTPSCertificateForHost2020-12-10 17:04:33.808 java[17957:578562] nil host used in call to allowsAnyHTTPSCertificateForHost:2020-12-10 17:04:33.809 java[17957:578562] nil host used in call to allowsSpecificHTTPSCertificateForHost2020-12-10 17:04:33.809 java[17957:578562] nil host used in call to allowsAnyHTTPSCertificateForHost:2020-12-10 17:04:33.809 java[17957:578562] nil host used in call to allowsSpecificHTTPSCertificateForHost2020-12-10 17:04:33.809 java[17957:578562] nil host used in call to allowsAnyHTTPSCertificateForHost:## A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:## SIGILL (0x4) at pc=0x00007fff34d28f1a, pid=17957, tid=0x0000000000000307## JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (8.0_275-b01) (build 1.8.0_275-b01)# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (25.275-b01 mixed mode bsd-amd64 compressed oops)# Problematic frame:# C [WebKitLegacy+0x13df1a] WebEditorClient::requestCandidatesForSelection(WebCore::VisibleSelection const&)+0x94a## Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again## An error report file with more information is saved as:# /Applications/data-integration/hs_err_pid17957.log## If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:# https://github.com/AdoptOpenJDK/openjdk-support/issues# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.#./spoon.sh: line 270: 17957 Abort trap: 6 "$_PENTAHO_JAVA" $OPT -jar "$STARTUP" -lib $LIBPATH "${1+$@}"

I'm not sure if downgrading my java would do anything here? Currently:

java -versionopenjdk version "1.8.0_275"OpenJDK Runtime Environment (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 1.8.0_275-b01)OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 25.275-b01, mixed mode)

Thanks in advance for any pointers that might resolve this for me, I've almost exhausted my avenues.

Felipe Conrado's profile image
Felipe Conrado

Hi everyone,

Do you have any news on this topic.

I am using:

MacOS 11.1

Penatho PDI 9.1

Java 8 (tried with both 202 and 275)

When I try to open a file from my local repository I get the following error:

# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:

#

# SIGILL (0x4) at pc=0x00007fff34db419a, pid=18124, tid=0x0000000000000307

#

# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_202-b08) (build 1.8.0_202-b08)

# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.202-b08 mixed mode bsd-amd64 compressed oops)

# Problematic frame:

# C [WebKitLegacy+0x13e19a] WebEditorClient::requestCandidatesForSelection(WebCore::VisibleSelection const&)+0x94a

#

# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again

I would really appreciate an update on this topic.

Stefan Klaffke's profile image
Stefan Klaffke

I have the same issue - crashes to desktop when trying to open a file using fiel repository.

Thank you for your support!

Tala Sharif's profile image
Tala Sharif

Any update on this? I have the same issue after upgrading to Mac OS Big Sur 11.

Thanks

Kevin Casemore's profile image
Kevin Casemore

I haven't tried this yet (and I'm not sure a download is available yet) but this appears to have been addressed, at least:

https://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-19253?focusedCommentId=408454&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-408454