Network Attached Storage​

View Only

Experiencing Slow File Saves on HNAS 13.3 with Windows 10 clients

• Network Attached Storage
  • Hitachi Network Attached Storage NAS
Jim Walker's profile image
Jim Walker posted 06-22-2018 15:44

Experiencing Slow File Saves on HNAS 13.3 with Windows 10 clients

For users who have been upgraded to Windows 10, we are seeing several cases where file saves (sometimes file opens) are taking a long time to complete.  In some cases, disabling the Anti-Virus scanning fixes the issue and in some cases that doesn't fix it.  Support has suggested implementing oplocks, but they haven't been able to tell us if this will fix our problem.  We have SMB 2.x and SMB 3 enabled and we are not using the SMB signing feature.

We have both NetApp and HNAS NAS systems and only HNAS is having these issues.  Has anyone else experienced these problems?  If so, can you tell me how you fixed these issues?

Thanks!

#HitachiNetworkAttachedStorageNAS
Albert Hagopian's profile image
Albert Hagopian

If a "try and buy" method of implementing OpLocks isn't your cup-of-tea, then I would suggest you have the case escalated - at this time I do not see any active "escalations" with Win 10 that fit this description.

Francesco Russo

David Mcleod's profile image
David Mcleod

We are experiencing the same issue with Windows 10 and Server 2012 boxes.   We're on 12.7 using trend micro Server protect for storage.   In our environment if you disable AV on the share the issue goes away.  Have you had any luck figuring this out?  We've got calls open with microsoft and trend but are getting nowhere.

Simon Crosland's profile image
Simon Crosland

It would be worth discussing both of these situations with the Hitachi support teams again to understand what's going on.  In David McLeod's case where Trend Micro anti-virus is involved, we would be happy to work with the vendor to resolve the problem.

Jim Walker's profile image
Jim Walker

We were able to get our support case escalated and support came back with the following change which seems to have fixed out issue.  Running this command is non-disruptive, but we chose to perform this change after hours just in case.

Run the following at the HNAS CLI prompt to change the Oplock setting:

set oplock_granular_max_grant_level 7

Run this command to verify the current setting:

set | grep oplock_granular

***************************************************************************************

If you want to remove this setting, run the following at the HNAS CLI prompt:

unset oplock_granular_max_grant_level

Run this command to verify the current setting:

set | grep oplock_granular

Hope this helps.

David Mcleod

Thanks Jim, we implemented this and it works great.

Simon Crosland's profile image
Simon Crosland

David McLeod, I am pleased that this helped with your issue, but please be careful taking advice given about another situation and applying it to your own systems.  A solution that's helpful for one system may be detrimental to another, so it's always a good idea to ask our support team for assistance.

David Mcleod

This was a solution provided by support in our scenario as well.   We implemented it based on their recommendations.

Lars Ekstrom's profile image
Lars Ekstrom

We just ran in to the same problem. Implementing this solution solved the problem. However we would like to know what this command actually does and why 7 is the "magic number" A google search on "set oplock_granular_max_grant_level 7" only leads to this thread.

Albert Hagopian's profile image
Albert Hagopian

@Lars Ekstrom​ Please see the comment(s) posted by @Simon Crosland​ and myself over the life of this thread.

In other words, what's good for the goose, may not be good for the gander and a case should have been opened so the situation is understood before jumping to the conclusion that all situations are the same.