Timezone Wrong on Pentaho 8.3 Server

• Pentaho
  • Kettle
  • Pentaho
  • Pentaho Data Integration PDI
Luis Villegas's profile image
Luis Villegas posted 08-31-2019 00:55

TL;DR:

I'm not sure if this is config error or a bug, but the timezones on our Pentaho BI server (8.3) aren't working as expected. When scheduling a job, I have to select UTC timezone, but use EDT times. For example: My timezone is EDT, and it's 7pm. To schedule a job to run 1 minute from now, I have to choose UTC and select 7:01pm, even though it should be UTC 11:01pm. When I select EDT and 7:01pm, it shows "next run time 11:01pm".

Background:

When I log into the Pentaho User Console, and I go to schedule a job, in the New Schedule popup, I click on the timezone dropdown. This dropdown gives me tons of timezones, in a completely random order. This isn't the issue I'm having, but thought I'd bring it up, as it can be annoying to find a specific one:

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 8.27.09 PM

Well I'm in Eastern Time, and the Linux server is on UTC time. For simplicity's sake, let's stick to it being 7pm where I am (Eastern), and it should be 11pm UTC. If I choose UTC (+0000) timezone, and choose 11:01pm, it will show the schedule with "next run time" being UTC 11:01pm...however, it won't run at that time!

So I hit "Execute Now" in the schedule screen, and suddenly the "Last Run" says UTC 7:01pm. So I went back and tried again...I went to schedule the job again, but this time set the time to UTC 7:03pm. Sure enough, it ran right on time!

Architecture Details:

I'm not sure if the architecture/config setup would have something to do with all this, so here's some background:

• The whole Pentaho BI 8.3 CE server is running in a Docker container, which I created on my local dev computer.
  • The Pentaho container image is managed and versioned using AWS Elastic Container Registry (ECR)
  • The container is deployed to an AWS EC2 instance using AWS ECS Clusters
  • I'm creating the jobs and transformations from PDI running on another server or my local dev computer

Anybody know how to go about fixing this?

#Pentaho
#Kettle
#PentahoDataIntegrationPDI
Andrew Cave's profile image
Andrew Cave

in {install_folder}/pentaho_server/start_pentaho.sh amend the line with "CATALINA_OPTS"

add

" -Duser.timezone=Australia/Sydney"

and restart the pentaho server (obviously, use your timezone name)