PDI 8.0 start up error

• Pentaho
  • Kettle
  • Pentaho
  • Pentaho Data Integration PDI
Data Conversion's profile image
Data Conversion posted 03-26-2018 14:08

When I start PDI on Mac HighSierra from the console I get an error message:

"org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Exported package names cannot be zero length."

A detailed log can be found on this Jira ticket: [PDI-16887] PDI Start up error - Pentaho Platform Tracking from somebody else who had the same issue. The ticket was closed stating "in your environment, ${jre-${java.specification.version}} seems to be returning an empty string. Please visit http://forums.pentaho.com and ask for assistance in getting your environment properly configured."

Somebody has an idea how to fix this?

I have pdi 8.0, Java 10 SDK, MacOS HighSierra

#PentahoDataIntegrationPDI
#Pentaho
#Kettle
Dan Keeley's profile image
Dan Keeley

Java 10? PDI doesn't even support Java9 yet.

Try installing java8, open a terminal, set JAVA_HOME correctly, and then run spoon.sh and it'll work fine.

Data Conversion

Dan!

Thanks for the hint, that did it.

On my Mac I had to:

• brew cask uninstall java
  • brew tap caskroom/versions
  • brew cask install java8
Data Conversion

i can't launch Spoon by navigating to the folder /data-integration and double clicking on the "Data Integration" application icon.  why?

Data Conversion

MacOS Sierra.

Sujay G's profile image
Sujay G

Hi xiaoyu kawan if your on windows you should double click spoon.bat to start spoon

Eric Rosales's profile image
Eric Rosales

This also happens with pentaho-server-ce-8.1...so, JAVA 10 or JAVA 9 is not supported in pentaho platform 8.1??

thanks

Dan Keeley's profile image
Dan Keeley

nope. Check the component reference on help.pentaho.com

They generally dont support the next java version until the current one goes beyond eol

Eric Rosales's profile image
Eric Rosales

Thanks, I downgrade the java, and starts working though, I'm having a problem with a quartz script...as soon as I got the log I'll post it