Please help me with GAD volume provisioning

• Data Protection
  • Data Protection
  • Storage
  • Global Active Device GAD
Vladimir Popov's profile image
Vladimir Popov posted 08-28-2019 01:25

Hi All,

I am new to Hitachi Storage, so please forgive my ignorance :)

I have read a lot of manuals and articles about GAD and trying to create a simple procedure on how to create a GAD volume and assign it to a host group (ESXi servers), so I can use it on Windows Cluster.

But, it seems I have a smogasboard in my head. 

We have G600 in 2 Data Centers - G600-DC1 and G600-DC2.

G600- DC2 has virtual storage machine, but not G600-DC1

I use only CCI, as Graphical interface proven to be not stable.

We have 2 Servers HORCM-DC1 and HORCM-DC2 to use CCI. HORCM-DC1 uses HORCMINST=0 in it Environmental settings and HORCM-DC2 uses HORCMINST=1

How to list all LDEVs in specific range, so I can choose free? do I have to list on both virtual storage machine and G600-DC2?

Create LDEVs:

for DC1: raidcom add ldev -pool 1 -ldev_id 02:14 -capacity 8000G

For DC2: do I have to create it on G600-DC2 and then on virtual storage machine? Do I create raidcom add ldev -pool 1 -ldev_id 02:13 -capacity 8000G, and then somehow map it to 02:14 on virtual storage machine to match G600-DC1?

How do I tell the difference, creating on G600-DC2 or creating on virtual storage machine? Do I switch between system variable HORCMINST=1 and HORCMINST=0 on G600-DC2?

Naming LDEV: Easy with G600-DC1

raidcom modify ldev -ldev_id 02:14 -ldev_name VDC-Prod_VDC01PCFIL01_0214

Do I name is on G600-DC2?

raidcom modify ldev -ldev_id 02:14 -ldev_name VDC-Prod_VDC01PCFIL01_0213

Do I name it on virtual storage machine? 

Creating Device Group: Do I have to create device group on G600-DC1 and G600-DC2? not on virtual storage machine?

Creating a pair

Creating Host group

Assigning pair to a host group.

I can find all commands myself, but if someone could create a sequence, for me, please?

Cheers

Vlad

#GlobalActiveDeviceGAD
#DataProtection
William Jansen Van Nieuwenhuizen's profile image
William Jansen Van Nieuwenhuizen

Hello

I would use HDID(Hitachi Data Instance Director). It usually ships with your product. It also comes with a rich REST APi backend if you want to do your own customizations.

However if you do want to really do it on the CCI, you can follow this article:

https://knowledge.hitachivantara.com/Documents/Management_Software/SVOS/8.1/Global-Active_Device/Configuration_and_pair_management_using_CCI#Workflow_for_creating_a__GAD.0D.0A________environment

Best Regards

William