Pentaho

View Only

PDI Spoon throws error with Xubuntu (Ubuntu) 20.04No more handles because no underlying browser available. SWT on GTK 2.x detected. It is reccomended to use SWT on GTK 3.x and Webkit2 API.

• Pentaho
  • Kettle
  • Pentaho
  • Pentaho Data Integration PDI
  • Spoon
Tony Johnson's profile image
Tony Johnson posted 04-24-2020 09:37

I dont get this with Xubuntu 18.04. I have used the latest PDI download 9.0.0.0-423. I would be grateful for a fix if anyone has it?

The full error reported is

org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: No more handles because no underlying browser available.

SWT on GTK 2.x detected. It is reccomended to use SWT on GTK 3.x and Webkit2 API.

at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4621)

at org.eclipse.swt.browser.Browser.<init>(Browser.java:128)

at org.pentaho.di.ui.core.dialog.ThinDialog.createDialog(ThinDialog.java:103)

at org.pentaho.di.ui.repo.dialog.RepositoryDialog.openCreation(RepositoryDialog.java:113)

at org.pentaho.di.ui.repo.menu.RepositoryConnectMenu$1.widgetSelected(RepositoryConnectMenu.java:122)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:252)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:89)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:5797)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1374)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:5051)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:4583)

at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.readAndDispatch(Spoon.java:1385)

at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.waitForDispose(Spoon.java:7968)

at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.start(Spoon.java:9350)

at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.main(Spoon.java:711)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)

at org.pentaho.commons.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:92)

Thnaks, TonyJ

#Kettle
#Pentaho
#Spoon
#PentahoDataIntegrationPDI
Sergio Ribeiro's profile image
Sergio Ribeiro

Hello @Tony Johnson​,

Did you install libwebkitgtk-1.0?

(https://help.pentaho.com/Documentation/9.0/Setup/Components_Reference#Web_browsers)

Regards,

Sérgio Ribeiro

Porto - Portugal

Tony Johnson
Hi Sergio.Here is what I get when trying to install, so I guess that it is already present?tj@tj-OptiPlex-3020:~/Desktop$ sudo apt-get install libwebkitgtk-1.0[sudo] password for tj:Reading package lists... DoneBuilding dependency treeReading state information... DoneNote, selecting 'libwebkitgtk-1.0-0' for regex 'libwebkitgtk-1.0'The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:gnome-software-common libappstream-glib8 libgspell-1-2 libgspell-1-commonUse 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
Igor Francisco Fortes's profile image
Igor Francisco Fortes

Hi, Tony!

You have to set the export SWT_GTK3 parameter in spoon.sh to 1.

Here's the reference: https://igorfortes.com/index.php/2020/05/25/solucao-para-erro-gtk-3-issues-with-swt-no-pentaho-no-linux-xubuntu/

Best,

Igor Francisco Fortes

Tony Johnson
Igor,Many many thanks for this.It didnt quite do it - but very nearly and I can use Spoon now where it was crashing before.You pointed me at the area to 'play' with and after 'adjustment' Spoon came up and seems stable.Though I do still get this showing but cannot detect that it is interfering - so far.I dont get the PDI splash panel.(java:5967): Gdk-WARNING **: 18:56:55.082: The GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS environment variable is not supported in GTK3.See the documentation for gdk_window_ensure_native() on how to get native windowand(SWT:5967): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:57:13.220: Negative content width -12 (allocation 1, extents 6x7) while allocating gadget (node separator, owner GtkSeparatorToolItem)2020/05/26 18:57:13 - RepositoriesMeta - Reading repositories XML file: /home/tj/.kettle/repositories.xmlGraphics2D from BufferedImage lacks BUFFERED_IMAGE hint(SWT:5967): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 18:57:13.592: gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkScrollbarI changed settings so...# Fix for GTK Windows issues with SWTexport GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1# Fix GTK 3 issues with SWT# export SWT_GTK3=1# Fix overlay scrollbar bug with Ubuntu 11.04export LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0# Fix menus not showing up on Ubuntu 14.04's unity# Bug in: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-gtk-module/+bug/1208019# export UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=0Thanks again for your reply.Tony J
behrouz seyedi's profile image
behrouz seyedi

It works :)

Thank you so much!

Thudani Hettimulla's profile image
Thudani Hettimulla

Hi Tony,

I am getting the same warning and the critical error that you got and I have the problem that spoon becoming very slow when opening a transformation or a job. Did you managed to solve those warnings and the error?

Thanks.