View Only

HORCM Configuration

• Data Protection
  • Data Protection
  • Storage
  • Hitachi Data Instance Director HDID
saran raj's profile image
saran raj posted 07-02-2019 04:02

In our environment, Storage admins doesn't have access to HORCM instance installed servers ( roughly around 300 servers). So, each time whenever an update is required in the replication or new replication instance creation,we get an help from OS admins to get that done. So, in order reduce the effort we are planning to streamline this process. Below are the options , we are trying for  ( any other alternate methods are welcome as well)

1. Use NFS mountpoint to store the Horcm config files . So, that it can be accessed by both OS & Storage admins

2.Use Storage Data instance director , this involves cost.

Any help on this, would be appreciated.

Thanks

Saran

#HitachiDataInstanceDirectorHDID
#DataProtection
David Francis's profile image
David Francis

You could setup Replication Manager which then all the pair management could be done via that and it would push the updates to the HORCM files.

Richard Vining's profile image
Richard Vining

Replication Manager has been replaced by Hitachi Data Instance Director (HDID). With HDID you will not have to worry about HORCM files anymore - it automates the entire process. It also provides the benefits of combining local and remote replication in a single policy-based workflow, and (with additional licensing) will create application-consistent snapshots and clones.

If you have a license for Replication Manager you can convert it to an HDID Replication Management license for a discounted fee. 

John Mcdevitt's profile image
John Mcdevitt

Rich Vining is spot on; HDID is your best/simplest answer.  There are a number of clarifying questions that I'd like to understand:

• What array types are you managing?
  • Are you presenting command devices to each host that has replicated devices?
  • Are you integrating replication with any applications (e.g., VMWare SRM, or using Hitachi Storage Cluster)?
saran raj

HDID involves commercial, i am looking for some alternate option without involving the cost. Also, i would like to know is there any impact to the existing replication environment if we migrate from the existing one to HDID ?

Response to the John questions

1. G 1500 & VSP arrays

2. Yes

3. No

John Mcdevitt's profile image
John Mcdevitt

Okay.  As Rich noted, there is a discounted option to get HDID storage orchestration that you may find appealing.  

HDID is able to adopt existing GAD/TC/HUR/SI replications as they are currently running.

If you are not integrating the replication with the applications that are running on these servers, you have some options to simplify the configuration for your storage admins.  You could consider having command devices presented to a central server at each site, and use it for your HORCM files (or as the Intelligent Storage Manager in an HDID implementation).  This will remove the requirement of having command devices and CCI installed on many servers, as well as the complicated process of distributing updates to HORCM files.

saran raj

No, we have database like Oracle etc .integrated to the servers.I would like to study about the Data protection features of HDID & how it will help to eliminate the necessity of not having to the servers ? Also, as per my understanding HDID is an appliance , do we have a virtual edition of it ? How the licensing was charged , is it per server or data set size ?

Thanks

Saran