Flash Storage​

View Only
  • 1.  Data Migration from 3rd Party Array to Hitachi VSP Storage

Posted 12-22-2021 10:20

Hello Experts,
    We want to migrate from an IBM A9000 array to Hitachi VSP Storage.
    Which tool does Hitachi has for this migration.  Does VSP has some in-built tool to do this. Or, one has to go for licensed tool like HUR etc.
    Please advise.

Best

Sudhir BISHT
    Storage Administrator

• 2.  RE: Data Migration from 3rd Party Array to Hitachi VSP Storage

Posted 12-23-2021 09:12
    Hello

Typically you'll use something like UVM(Universal Volume Manager) Migration. You do this by Virtualizing the IBM Array behind the Hitachi Array and then you can move the volume between storage arrays without affecting the host's connection.

You can ask your sales team for a demo to the CoE(Centre of excellence), they can show you how to do this via a demonstration.

Regards

------------------------------
    William Jansen van Nieuwenhuizen
    Hitachi Vantara

• 3.  RE: Data Migration from 3rd Party Array to Hitachi VSP Storage

Posted 09-22-2023 14:18
      |   view attached

Hi William,
    Thanks for the insight.
    Also another query, if you know.  I was checking the port properties of one of the VSP port, and I didn't find the 'attribute'  tab in 'edit port' to set a port as external port.(Attached screenshot).  As per the documentation, there is an 'attribute' tab when we edit port, and then one can change it to either -  Target, RCU Target, Initiator, External.  Not sure, why it is missing in my configuration.

Best.

• 4.  RE: Data Migration from 3rd Party Array to Hitachi VSP Storage

Posted 12-24-2021 05:13
    Hello

Typically the ports on the midrange arrays are mixed ports. Meaning you can use them for whatever. Here is a screenshot of the same option on an enterprise array as an example:
    Enterprise Port Example on a VSP5500

Hitachi Vantara

• 5.  RE: Data Migration from 3rd Party Array to Hitachi VSP Storage

Posted 12-24-2021 08:25
      |   view attached

Hello William,

Exactly.  Thanks.  I was looking for something like the attached screenshot here -    External
    So, this means, I can use any existing port(s) for external virtualized array.  Right.
    And , the port need not be free, can be already in use ?  Just proper zoning will do, and it will act accordingly as per the operation performed through it.  Please advise.

Thank You.

Original Message:
    Sent: 12-24-2021 05:12
    Subject: Data Migration from 3rd Party Array to Hitachi VSP Storage

Hello

Typically the ports on the midrange arrays are mixed ports. Meaning you can use them for whatever. Here is a screenshot of the same option on an enterprise array as an example:

Enterprise Port Example on a VSP5500

Hitachi Vantara

• 6.  RE: Data Migration from 3rd Party Array to Hitachi VSP Storage

Posted 12-24-2021 08:58
    Yes, like I said, mixed ports.

Always best to work via a proper support case if you're having technical issues. But as far as I remember on the modular systems, you don't need to change the ports in order to use the functionality.

Hitachi Vantara

• 7.  RE: Data Migration from 3rd Party Array to Hitachi VSP Storage

Posted 12-26-2021 11:43

Hola William.
    First of all, as you had mentioned in the very first message, any port(in use or not in use) can be used for external storage, without a need to change the port attribute in mid-range VSPs. Confirmed/tested now.

I am able to add External path(s) setup fine for the external volumes. Can see the volume as local volume also on VSP.
    However, for each external volume, it says - The filter was set to the table because an external volume that couldn't be used was found as a result of volume discovery(attached Screenshot1). Why it says 'could not be used'. But Infact, these are the volumes which we want to use. And, when we select them they seems usable. But not sure, what this error will do later when we try to do the actual migration.

Secondly, coming back to original question: Can this be migrated/copied ONLINE. We will be using Volume Migrator. Idea is to migrate data from 3rd party array to VSP. We normally migrate local VSP volumes online without any impact to host at all. Can we do the same with this volume(as it is so called local to VSP now). I read somewhere that host operations should be stopped for this. Can you please confirm this. We want to understand on the 'migration window' depending on this answer confirmation.
    Best Regards.

• 8.  RE: Data Migration from 3rd Party Array to Hitachi VSP Storage
    Best Answer

Posted 12-27-2021 03:39
    Rephrased answer below:
    Hello

Typically you'll use something like UVM(Universal Volume Manager) Migration. You do this by Virtualizing the IBM Array behind the Hitachi Array[disruptive for the path change] and then you can move the volume or data between storage arrays without affecting the host's connection[non-disruptive].

You can ask your sales team for a demo to the CoE(Centre of excellence), they can show you how to do this via a demonstration else in the guide they detail the settings needed in order to accomplish this

Regards

Hitachi Vantara

• 9.  RE: Data Migration from 3rd Party Array to Hitachi VSP Storage

Posted 07-06-2023 11:21

Hello William.

Now, we have a new E-Series E1090, and we want to use UVM/VM2 combo for migration as you had suggested for VSP-G800. We do have both the licenses as well.  Now, my question is can we do the same using Hitachi OPs Center Administrator also, or we have to use Device Manager only.

Please advise.

Thanks