The SAP HANA database keeps the bulk of its data in memory. It uses persistent storage to provide a fall-back in case of failure. However, if the persistent storage is damaged, you need snapshots of the database for recovery. The ability to restore real time data processing, such as the SAP HANA database, translates directly into revenue for your business.
In this, we will discuss how we can leverage Hitachi Storage Adapter for the SAP HANA Cockpit, which is storage management software to simplify IT. When used for infrastructure management, Storage Adapter for SAP HANA Cockpit uses Hitachi Thin Image (HTI) and Hitachi ShadowImage heterogeneous replication.
- Hitachi Thin Image creates a storage snapshot of the data volumes. You can restore a SAP HANA database using this replica snapshot.
- Hitachi ShadowImage heterogeneous replication creates a replica of logical volume in the same storage system without host. ShadowImage enables concurrent operations, such as backup and batch processing, with minimum impacts on online operation continuity.
This solution is for use by IT administrators, database administrators, storage administrators, SAP HANA administrators, and architects implementing snapshot, recovery, and cloning solutions.
Incremental Software and Hardware Components
As additional components to an existing scale-up implementation, you need the following components.
Hitachi Storage Adapter for SAP HANA Cockpit
Hitachi Storage Adapter for SAP HANA Cockpit is free-to-download software, which runs as a web application. When needed, the adapter calls the web service on the management server of the SAP HANA platform scale-up configuration. Then, the web service communicates to the attached Hitachi storage and returns the information to the adapter.
In addition, the web service collects device-mapping information from the SAP HANA host by using SSH. The web service executes SQL queries for retrieving information from the SAP HANA database.
The web service manages all configuration information, storing it in the local disk of the management server. Then, the adapter passes configuration information to the web service.
Hitachi ShadowImage Heterogeneous Replication
High-speed, non-disruptive local mirroring technology of Hitachi ShadowImage heterogeneous replication rapidly creates multiple copies of mission-critical information within all Hitachi storage systems.
ShadowImage heterogeneous replication keeps data RAID-protected and fully recoverable, without affecting service or performance levels. You can split replicated data volumes from the host applications and used for system backups, application testing, and data mining applications, while business continues to run at full capacity.
Hitachi Thin Image
The high-speed, nondisruptive snapshot technology of Hitachi Thin Image snapshot software rapidly creates up to one million point-in-time copies of mission-critical information within any Hitachi storage system or virtualized storage pool without impacting host service or performance levels.
Because snapshots store only the changed data, the volume of storage capacity required for each snapshot copy is substantially smaller than the source volume. As a result, Thin Image snapshot software can provide significant savings over full volume cloning methods.
Thin Image snapshot copies are fully read/write compatible with other hosts. They can be used for system backups, application testing, and data mining applications while the business continues to run at full capacity. Hitachi Storage Adapter for SAP HANA Cockpit uses Thin Image to create snapshots.
Additonal Hard Drives
You need additional hard drives to create a storage snapshot of the SAP HANA data volumes using Hitachi Thin Image or to create an exact replica of the logical volumes using Hitachi Shadow Image heterogeneous replication.
Use Cases and Best Practices
These are the use cases and best practices for Hitachi Storage Adapter for the SAP HANA Cockpit in Hitachi Unified Compute Platform for SAP HANA in a scale-up configuration to simplify IT management with storage management software.
Replicate Using Hitachi Thin Image
- Use Hitachi Thin Image for backup to create a replica of the specified logical volume using a snapshot. Using Thin Image, you can create and restore a replica of an arbitrary point of time.
- The capacity used to store a snapshot can be smaller than the storage needed to copy and store the entire volume data. This is because the snapshot data in the pool volume only stores data that is different from what is in the specified logical volume.
- Hitachi Storage Adapter for SAP HANA Cockpit uses Thin Image to create snapshots of the SAP HANA database.
Replicate Using Hitachi ShadowImage Heterogeneous Replication
- Hitachi ShadowImage heterogeneous replication creates a replica of logical volume (a pair) in the same storage system without a host. This software enables concurrent operations, such as backup and batch processing, with minimum impacts on online operation continuity. The ShadowImage pair performs all copy operations asynchronously after receiving the pair operation command.
Recover and Restore the Operating System LUN
- Use Hitachi ShadowImage heterogeneous replication to create a local replica (S-VOL) of the operating system LUN (P-VOL) in the same storage. This replica can be used to restore the operating system in case of failure.
Recover and Restore the SAP HANA database Storage Snapshot
- Create a SAP HANA storage snapshot to recover the SAP HANA database after a failure. Hitachi Storage Adapter for SAP HANA Cockpit uses Hitachi Thin Image to create a storage snapshot of the data volumes. Restore the SAP HANA database using this replica for a point in time recovery.
Copy and Clone the SAP HANA Database with Hitachi ShadowImage Heterogeneous Replication
- Use Hitachi ShadowImage heterogeneous replication to create a local replica (S-VOLs) of the following in the same storage:
- Operating system
- SAP HANA shared
- SAP HANA LOG
- SAP HANA Data LUNs (P-VOLs)
- You can use this replica to copy or clone the SAP HANA system.
To learn more, see the following resources: