- Disaster Recovery Solution using VMware SRM;
- Multisite SRM Solution;
- 3 Protected Sites, 1 Recovery Site;
- Array Based Replication.
COMPONENT DESIGNMajor Hardware Components
- Hitachi Unified Compute Platform 4000 for VMware CISCO;
- Hitachi Blade Chassis CB500 x 4;
- Hitachi Blades 520HB3 x 32;
- Quantaplex T41S-2U management servers x 2;
- CISCO Nexus 9372 (10 GB) Switches x 2;
- CISCO Nexus 9332 (40 GB) Switches x 2;
- CISCO Nexus 3048 (1 GB) Switches x 2;
- Brocade 6510 SAN Switches x 2;
- Brocade 6546 In-Chassis SAN Switches x 2 per Chassis;
- CISCO Pass-Thru Modules x 2 per Chassis
- Hitachi VSP G800 Storage System.
Major Software Components
- VMware vSphere 6.0 u1b;
- VMware SRM 6.1;
- Hitachi Storage Replication Adapter (SRA) 2.1.4;
- Windows 2K12 Datacenter;
- Hitachi Universal Replicator (HUR).
PREREQUISITES FOR SRM DEPLOYMENT
- Fully functional VMware Environment, in this case;
- 4 x vCenter Server at each location;
- 4 x SQL Server for databases;
- Fully functional Network Infrastructure:
- All the necessary VLANS advertised as applicable;
- Firewall Ports opened as below:
- 9086 –> WebClient to SRM VM;
- Other ports included 443, 902, 1433… for detailed port requirements for SRM 6.1 please refer the VM KB article: 2119329.
- Storage Provisioned:
- All the zoning in place;
- Storage is presented to the hosts;
- Replication is setup:
- HDS Replication requires Command Devices to the be added to the CCI server which is same as the SRM server. Note: In case of HDS storage, SRA & CCI should be installed on the same server as SRM.
- HORCM files are configured & defined, this is critical for replication as CCI uses the information in the HORCM files to identify the volumes;
- Create Database for SRM, there is a very good article by Settlersoman that provides steps for creating SRM DB: /;
- Create System DSN in SRM server (I have used SQL Native Client 11);
- Install SRM 6.1:
- Run the SRM executable file;
- Accept the EULA and press Next;
- Enter the Platform Services Controller (PSC) details;
- Enter the details in the below screen:
4. Now enter the Site ID details, make sure the Site ID between the protected & the recovery site is SAME:
5. Select the Certificate option:
6. Now select the external database option if you are using SQL server to host SRM DB, make sure you have 64 bit DSN created. If you create DSN by clicking DSN Setup on this screen, then you have to manually type the DSN name in the data source name drop down box as it will not immediately appear in the list:
7. Now enter the Database details:
8. Press Next and you should be ready to install SRM 6.1.