I hope that all of you had a fantastic holiday with a chance to relax and enjoy time with your family and friends. I’m very excited to find out what 2018 holds in store but I want to use this blog to look back on the advancements and accomplishments achieved by the storage team at Hitachi during 2017. Indeed, 2017 was the year that we announced a major corporate reorganization and a new name. But while our corporate identity no longer includes Data Systems, no one should underestimate just how foundational world-class storage systems are to our strategy and to our future.
Our storage product teams were very busy last year and brought a number of important new releases and enhancements to our portfolio:
- Hitachi Unified Compute Platform (UCP) HC systems were enabled with non-volatile memory (NVMe) to greatly accelerate the time-to-results for analytics workloads.
- Hitachi Storage Plug-in for Containers were released for our VSP F series and VSP G series. These container plug-ins enable Docker SwarmKubernetes to automate and orchestrate storage tasks between hosts in a cluster.
- We introduced new value-added software bundles (Foundation and Advanced) with a rich set of functions that make our VSP systems work even smarter.
- We also launched the Flash Assurance Program for our VSP F series which includes flat support pricing, bundled predictive analytics, ongoing media replacement, our 100% data availability guarantee, plus a 2:1 data reduction guarantee.
- Our world-best business resiliency capabilities got even better when we announced support for Global-Active Device distances up to 500km. Even at this distance, data centers can be clustered for synchronous availability and protection from regional disasters or grid failures. When our VSP Fx00 and Gx00 models with 32Gbps FC connectivity are combined with Brocade Gen 6 networking infrastructure, there’s no more resilient solution available anywhere.
Our investments in innovative storage solutions led to a number of industry awards and high rankings within last year’s major analyst reviews.
- Hitachi was named a Leader in the Gartner Magic Quadrant for Solid State Arrays and the Gartner Magic Quadrant for General Purpose Disk Arrays.
- Hitachi was named as a Major Player in the IDC MarketScape Worldwide AFA 2017 Vendor Assessment.*
- We achieved a Champion ranking in Info Tech Mid-Range Storage vendor review.
- Our VSP F800 was named in Searchstorage.com’s Product of the Year awards.
Of course, the thing that keeps us going is how we enable our customers to solve their most challenging problems. Here is a sample of but a few:
- Broadway Video is solving the challenges that 4K video production and delivery places on their infrastructure.
- CPFL Brazil is transforming how electricity is delivered with smart grids and greater automation.
- The researchers at the Queensland Brain Institute are working on a breakthrough treatment for Alzheimer’s disease.
- Direct Line Group, Britain’s leading personal home and motor insurance provider, replaced their competitive storage with a capacity on demand subscription from Hitachi which lowered their costs and significantly reduced outages that were effecting their customers.
Our customer satisfaction levels are at an all-time high and we’re extremely pleased with the results we saw from a recent TechValidate survey where our VSP customers told us all of the reasons that they are so happy with their systems. And we shipped 700PB of flash capacity which is a 67% increase over the prior year.
So now that 2017 is in the books and we turn our focus towards 2018, you can expect a lot of great new things to come from Hitachi. We’ll be bringing out new products with even tighter integration between our storage and analytics offerings which we believe will uniquely position us for the datacenter modernization initiatives that we know are coming. You can read more about our portfolio direction here in this blog with our Product Marketing and Product Management executives.
* IDC MarketScape: Worldwide All-Flash Array 2017 Vendor Assessment, December 2017, IDC#US43310017.