One of the realities of realizing an IoT solution (Enterprise, Commercial, Industrial) is that the requirements so drastically different. Among the several dimensions that are used to evaluate a platform for realizing an IoT solution, a key dimension is the flexibility of the platform. In the context of an IoT solution flexibility can be viewed as the ability to integrate with other technologies and having the ability to seamlessly fit into the solution environment. Let us examine each of these requirements.
Integration with other technologies:
A solution typically involves integrations of various technologies to realize outcomes. Given the scope of IoT solutions, integrations are an essential part of the solution. At every stage in an IoT solution stack, technologies need to integrate on the inbound and outbound.
Fit in the solution environment
Every vertical specific IoT solution has its own set of specific requirements. The solution architecture is varied - The ingestion sources, the consumer targets, the deployment location, the end to end weaving the solution is different. Depending upon the vertical solution being realized, technologies need to fit into the solution environment.
One of the key design decision for the HSDP platform was to keep the platform as flexible as possible. Given our involvement in building a variety of vertical specific solution with the earlier versions of HSDP, we realized that a key feature for the platform is to provide flexibility.
The following are some of the vertical solutions where HSDP was used to realize the solution
- Finance - Computing in real-time the index for Tokyo stock exchange
- Utilities - Monitoring and managing HVAC system
- IT Ops - Real-time analysis of log files
- Banking - Analyzing transactions
- Performance tuning of Race cars
- Traffic Management in large cities.
- Crowd management in public places
The sources and targets for each of the above application are vastly different. The data source, volume, velocity of ingesting stock market data, for example, is very different from ingesting from a sensor in a transportation vehicle. The location of gathering the data, analysing the data and taking action on the insight is also very different. The consumers of the insights are different. The actions they will take are different. The latency requirements are very different. The list goes on.....HSDP 3.0 platform includes the following features that enables it to be flexible to meet the demands of a vertical IoT solution.
- HSDP SDK enables developing vertical specific ingest and publish adapters. The ingest adapter SDK allows ingesting data from a variety of sources, perform transformations and publish it on a stream. The publish adapter SDKs allows subscription of insights from a stream, transformation of insights to actions.
- HSDP provides deployment options that enable solutions to run in environments where resources are limited.
- HSDP provides the capability of providing insights, taking actions at the edges and seamless cascading of insights from edges to core.
The following diagram illustrates at a high level view of HSDP's integration capability and fit in an IoT solutions environment.