In my first blog, I described the portfolio of Oracle adapters Hitachi has developed to help customers simplify the management and protection of their Oracle environments, which drive down costs and allow solid integration with Oracle. Here, I’d like to give you more detail on the features and functionality of our Oracle adapters portfolio.
The Hitachi storage adapters for Oracle are tightly integrated with Oracle Database, Oracle Enterprise Manager and Oracle VM which enable customers to easily manage the Oracle infrastructure deployed on UCP for Oracle and Hitachi Storage solutions. As you can see in the graphic below, UCP for Oracle offers high IOPS with low cost and full Oracle integration provided with the Hitachi Storage Adapters.
These integrations are designed to help customers easily manage the Hitachi Storage and converged infrastructure for Oracle database applications through the database lifecycle of deployment, management, protection and archive of historical data. This is accomplished with the following adapters:
- Oracle Enterprise Manager – help DBAs proactively manage and monitor the hardware infrastructure
- Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN) – speed up the backup and recovery of databases using RMAN
- Oracle VM – provision storage for virtualized Oracle
- Oracle Database Clone – creates writable database clones using storage replication
- Oracle WebCenter Adapter – archives historical data
- Oracle ASM Storage Reclamation Utility (ASRU) – reclaim storage not used by Oracle
Let’s look at each of the Hitachi Storage Adapters deployed on Hitachi UCP for Oracle and HDS Storage solutions in more detail.
Hitachi Storage Adapter for Oracle Enterprise Manager - Database Cloning (ODC)
The Hitachi Storage Adapter for Oracle Database Clone can be used by database administrators, and those who are not database experts, to make hot or cold clones of Oracle databases for updates or other changes to test in QA and development environments.
The Hitachi Storage Adapter for Oracle Enterprise Manager – Database Cloning supports business needs that include the following:
- Multiple clones for multiple uses such as fulfilling requests from development and QA groups.
- Hot cloning of an Oracle database for backup while it is in use and transactions are running on that production database.
- Enabling those that may be unfamiliar with database administration to make cold clones of Oracle databases when those databases are not in use.
ODC clones the LUNs/disks that Oracle Automatic Storage Management (ASM) is handling, producing a copy of the Oracle database at a given point in time. To clone a database, the user first launches the Hitachi Shadow Image operation to create a storage-based volume copy of the database. The Shadow Image replication function runs without stopping I/O operations on the primary server. Once the primary volumes are replicated an Oracle clone can be initiated by mounting the replicated secondary volumes on the clone server.
Each developer or QA engineer can control his or her own personal copy of the database. Developers and QA engineers can make modifications to these copies and even destroy them, if needed, without affecting other users. This includes both standalone and RAC configurations. Both these configurations can be used with ASM for managing database storage.
Once the database is set up for cloning operations, redo services (logs) are suspended. The most crucial structure for recovery operations is the redo log, which consists of two or more pre-allocated files that store all changes made to the database as they occur. Every instance of an Oracle Database has an associated redo log to protect the database in case of an instance failure.
Then the adapter clones the LUNs/disks that it is handling, yielding a copy of the Oracle database at a given point in time. Redo services resume and the cloned Oracle database is activated and converted.
In order to create a writable cloned database, the adapter uses the Hitachi Shadow Image technology, which creates a storage-based volume copy of the database. The Shadow Image replication function runs without stopping I/O operations on the primary server. Hitachi Shadow Image replication software is a non-disruptive, host-independent, data-replication solution for creating copies of any database within a single Hitachi storage system.
Hitachi Storage Adapter for Oracle Enterprise Manager – Database Cloning (ODC) is available for all the Hitachi Enterprise storage systems:
The Hitachi Storage Adapter for Oracle Enterprise Manager-Database Clone will support Red Hat Enterprise Linux (6.3) 64bit OS.
Hitachi Storage Adapter for Oracle Recovery Manger (RMAN)
The Hitachi Storage Adapter for Oracle Recovery Manager enables administrators to manage backup and recovery through the Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control. It reduces the backup window for production databases and minimizes the performance impact on production systems during backup operations.
The Hitachi Storage Adapter for Oracle Recovery Manager reduces backup times for production databases from hours to minutes and minimizes performance impact on production systems during backups. The Hitachi RMAN Adapter is integrated with Oracle Recovery Manager, Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control System, Hitachi ShadowImage, Hitachi Copy on Write (CoW), Hitachi Thin Image (TI), Hitachi Universal Replication (HUR), and Hitachi NAS Directory Cloning (HNAS).
RMAN offers simplified backup and recovery management for Oracle databases
- Minimal performance impact on production databases
- Optimized for data analysis
- Backup window for production systems reduced from hours to minutes
- Full and incremental backups to disk and tape, accommodating especially large databases
- Hot and cold backup of databases
- Backup of multiple databases on single or multiple Hitachi storage systems
- Multiple point-in-time snapshots of Oracle databases using Hitachi Copy on Write (COW), Hitachi Thin Image (HTI) software, and Hitachi NAS directory cloning
- Can be operated via the Oracle Enterprise Manager GUI
The Hitachi Storage Adapter for Oracle Recovery Manger is available for all Hitachi Enterprise Storage, Modular Storage, and HNAS 4000 Series Platforms:
The Hitachi Storage Adapter for Oracle Recovery Manager supports red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.3 64 bit version and AIX 7.1 TL02 or higher 64 bit version.
Hitachi Storage Adapter for Oracle VM (OVM)
OVM can be an essential tool in a mission-critical environment with numerous virtual servers storing data on multiple Hitachi storage systems.
Oracle VM is a platform that enables you to deploy operating systems and application software within a supported virtualization environment.
Oracle VM includes:
- The Oracle VM Storage Connect Framework, which provides storage discovery and provisioning APIs that include LUN creation, deletion, cloning creation.
- Oracle VM Manager, a web application used to manage virtual machines, other resources, and Oracle VM server.
- Oracle VM Server is a platform for running virtual machines.
The Hitachi Storage Adapter for Oracle VM enables storage administrators to monitor and manage Hitachi storage subsystems through the following main operations:
- Collect information on storage systems, disks, LUNs, and storage pools
- Provision LUNs and configure the mapping with access groups
- Decommission LUNs and unconfigure access groups
- Instantly clones Oracle VMs within Hitachi storage.
I will elaborate on further use cases and capabilities of these Oracle integrations in my last blog in the series.
If you have any questions or comments please provide them directly below. If you would like a 1-on-1 review of the information above, provide your name here.