AnsweredAssumed Answered

Shared Host Group vs Separate Host Groups configuration for Hyper-V cluster

Question asked by Dmitrijs Demidovs on Mar 24, 2017
Latest reply on Nov 3, 2017 by B743E4IP

Hi all!

I need you help to figure out that is the best way (or most correct way) how to perform LUN provisioning to Hyper-V cluster.

We have Gx00 system, HCS 8.5 and four Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V hosts connected to Gx00 via two FC switches. Lets assume that there is only two FC ports connected on Gx00 side (CL5-A and CL8-A), and each Hyper-V server have two FC ports. No inter-switch links - we have two separated FC fabrics.

There is two ways how I can provision LUN (CSV) to Hyper-V hosts.

First way:

1.1) Register all Hyper-V servers as Hosts in HCS.

1.2) Allocate Volume (LUN) to first Host by creating new dedicated Host Group for that host.

1.3) Allocate same Volume to second Host, also by creating new dedicated Host Group for him.

1.4) Same as 1.3 for all other Hyper-V hosts.

At the end of this procedure i will get my LUN mapped to all four Hosts via 8 Host Groups (each Host will have dedicated Host Group on port CL5-A and dedicated Host Group on port CL8-A).

Second way:

1.1) Register all Hyper-V servers as Hosts in HCS.

1.2) Allocate Volume (LUN) to first Host by creating new dedicated Host Group for that host.

1.3) Use "More Actions -> Define Clustered-Host Storage" to add WWNs of three other Hosts to Host Group created earlier.

At the end of this i will get my LUN mapped to all four Hosts via 2 Host Groups - just because all WWNs of all Hosts will be added to two Host Groups connected to ports CL5-A and CL8-A

HCS allows you to do it in both ways (this confuses me a lot). Which of these ways is best and most advised?

Thanks.

Outcomes