AnsweredAssumed Answered

Kettle / Data Integration is very slow to start up, and immediately hangs after right click on anything in the left View panel.

Question asked by Yves Borenstein on Jan 22, 2018
Latest reply on Jan 24, 2018 by Yves Borenstein

For all practical purposes, I cannot work with Kettle / Data Integration, although it is half of my new job. Does anyone have any insights?

Thanks.

Issue:

Kettle is very slow to launch, and immediately hangs and needs to be Force Quit when I right click on anything in the left side panel.

That is the main issue, as there are some things you can only do by right clicking on the object you want in the view panel. But I believe there is also a configuration issue. For example, when I try to create a new database connection (from the File menu), I get this error:

“org.pentaho.ui.xul.XulException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException”

My config:

Mac OSX 10.12.6 (Sierra)

Kettle, also known as Pentaho Data Integration, version 7.1.0

Notes:

Kettle takes over 1 GB of memory right away after being started

What I already attempted:

-         Uninstall and reinstall Kettle in 2 ways.

o   From the installer package on this website (which redirects to https://sourceforge.net/projects/pentaho/files/Data%20Integration/7.1/pdi-ce-7.1.0.0-12.zip/download0)

Uninstall: move Data Integration folder to Trash, as well as all files and folders containing “Kettle", and then Empty Trash

o   From Homebrew in the Terminal, using: brew install kettle

This way installs version 6

Uninstall: brew uninstall --force kettle

-         Close all apps in use, hard reboot my computer, kill memory intensive processes in Activity Monitor

-         Sudo purge

Outcomes