AnsweredAssumed Answered

Service responsible for clearing out rehydrated content from storage tier

Question asked by Clifford Grimm Employee on Dec 3, 2018
Latest reply on Dec 4, 2018 by Clifford Grimm

Have a situation where an HCP is running out of local managed storage.  Customer doesn't want to add additional storage, but instead perhaps tier content to another tier.  But having issues with frequently used content causing excessive re-hydration and thus cost. The customer would like to tier the unused content to AWS/Azure/Google cloud.  Problem with HCP tiering is that the setting is based on how old the content is from the initial ingestion.  However, there is quite a bit of content that is static but frequently used. Because of this, I believe the frequently used content will eventually cause excessive rehydration and thus cost to the customer. For instance, say there is some content that was ingested into HCP 60 days ago.  The storage tiering policy is set to tier content to the cloud after 30 days.  This content is read frequently, say every other day. After 30 days, I believe this given piece of content will get into a thrashing situation where every day it will be "un-hydrated" (if that is an appropriate term), then rehydrated when the content is used.

Want to come up with a way to deal with this and thinking perhaps some manual management/monitoring might help here.  Question: Is the Storage Tiering service responsible for "un-hydrating" the content? If so, it might be feasible to turn on the Storage Tiering service for initial bulk tiering of the oldest content content, then turn it off.   For the content that is frequently used, that content will rehydrated and remain on the HCP system.    I realize that the Storage Tiering service is managed at the system level, but this HCP is ONLY used for HCP-AW backend storage.

Any thoughts on this besides this will be a pain to manage?

Outcomes