Legacy HDS Forums

AMS200 - LUN deletion/recreation

Discussion created by Legacy HDS Forums on Feb 12, 2007
Latest reply on Feb 13, 2007 by Legacy HDS Forums

Originally posted by: anarasim

Hello,

I have a strange situation (at least to me) in AMS200 we have in our environment. We have a Raid Group [RAID6 -12D+2P] with 145GB free space. I needed a 200GB LUN to be created. I found a 100GB LUN which was created and formatted but not assigned to any of the host groups. I thought of deleting this 100GB LUN and creating a 200GB LUN out of new 245GB free space. 

I deleted the unused 100GB LUN and SNM stated that the free capacity for that RG as 245GB. But when I tried to create a new LUN in the same RG, I was surprised to see that only 145GB free space was available to create a new LUN (as opposed to 245GB I was expecting). I even tried refreshing and disconnecting/reconnecting SNM to AMS200 but I got the same result. I created 145GB LUN to see the free capacity of the RG after creation. But SNM reported 100GB free capacity in the RG and I was able to create another LUN of size 100GB in the same RG.

Technically I can use LUN expansion to provide a lun of 245GB size to the host. But I would like to know if I was doing anything wrong or is there a limitation with AMS200 that I am not aware of so far about deleting and recreating LUNs of different sizes. We are using this RG as a test RG to provide temporary storage for test purposes and reclaim them back after the test to resize later for different application test requirements.

Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Anan

Outcomes