Legacy HDS Forums

newb: help with Thunder 9200

Discussion created by Legacy HDS Forums on Sep 10, 2007
Latest reply on Sep 26, 2007 by Legacy HDS Forums

Originally posted by: Mr. Sandman

first off, id like to introduce myself, although, i dont really know much about server hardware or software (outside of the windows server edition os's), i have about 9 years hands-on consumer lvl pc exp, and i consider myself to be pretty handy with the internet (google is your friend).

ok... now, the issue/question i have...

i somehow acquired a hefty, yet useless piece of server equipment... searching everything i found on the thing, it appears to be a Hitachi Thunder 9200 SAN module (10 drive bays running what im assuming are Fibre Channel HDD's)... on the back, there are two beefy PSU's and two drive controller units (?) and each of the controllers has two ports that look like rj-45 connectors, but arent....

i know, as far as storage goes, i know what i have is actually worth something to someone that can use it... however, i have no idea if i can... i guess im asking for more information, because im running into a big brick wall... hitachi has literally no knowledge base with useful information (all i can find are press release forms), and the internet (surprisingly) has failed me for the first time in a while (all i can find are sites selling the equipment, but have no manuals or information about it)...

i either want to sell or trade this thing (for a couple of laptops or the cash to buy two), or use it with a make-shift server i could build, or (try to) use the hard drives i the thing in a home-made pc (raid, of course) if there is even a controller card for this type of HDD for consumers...

so if anyone has any information, please drop a line and help me out.... any and all help is greatly appreciated...

Outcomes