Legacy HDS Forums

Calling all HTnM alarm users

Discussion created by Legacy HDS Forums on Jan 16, 2008
Latest reply on Feb 4, 2008 by Legacy HDS Forums

Originally posted by: stephen2615

Greetings,

I am sure if you are using HTnM and have set up alarms, you probably have the same feeling as I do about just exactly what thresholds you should use and what alarms are worth the effort.  HDS won't offer any guidance because all environments are different.  Things such as USP Front End port IOPS is always a good one as it just depends on what you use the port for.

HDS set a number of alarms as part of our installation and I really wonder why some items are even monitored.  Things such as:

PI_LDS_WRITE_XFER_RATE are a mystery to me.  What does that do?

PI_LDS_WRITE_IO_RATE and PI_LDS_READ_IO_RATE are nice to know but in reality, what good can that alarm achieve. 

Anyway, the list of useful/not useful alarms goes on and on and more often than not, information overload tends to dull the senses.    In particular real time alarms about the USP can't even tell me which LDEV/array group/etc is being reported on.  I have to go to Performance Report to see what is being alarmed on. 

Side File usage and write pending are great to have alarms on but I don't think I have ever seen one from them.

Has anyone does something special with HTnM and would like to share what they have done? 

Stephen

Outcomes