Originally posted by: kirkland
We are using Cisco MDS 9513's and have started to use the Enhanced device-alias mode. Basically a device-alias has a 1 to 1 relationship with a wwpn. From the documentation I find that if you change the wwpn for the device-alias any zones using that device-alias reflect the change. The down side I'm told is if/when you wish to change the alias name - it breaks all the zones it was once in. So is there a process by which you can
change the name of a device-alias and not break your zones?
so far all I've come up with is->
example device-alias host1 has wwpn 20:00:00:1b:32:82:7e:c9
1. take all the zones with host1 in it and add the wwpn 20:00:00:1b:32:82:7e:c9 to the zone
2. delete the device-alias host1
3. create a new device-alias betterhost1 with wwpn 20:00:00:1b:32:82:7e:c9
4. go back to all the zones identified in 1 and add betterhost1 to the zone
5. delete the wwpn 20:00:00:1b:32:82:7e:c9 from the zone.
I've not tested this, just trying to come up with a plan.