Alex Theodore

Favorite quick recipe for a nice meal?

Discussion created by Alex Theodore on Jul 13, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 5, 2013 by Brian Tran

Hi y'all... I thought it would be fun to share some ideas on cooking.  It is something I enjoy as it is technical, and because I can share it with others and make them happy....

This is one of my favorite recipes to make when I don't want to spend a lot of time cooking, but I want something tasty and healthy.  I serve this with steamed rice... by the time the rice is finished in the rice cooker the meal is ready to serve ~ 25 minutes.  I have a handful of recipes like this that I can do quickly without much thought.  It helps me clear my head after my workday has finished. 

Ingredients

·       6 fish fillets about 2 oz to 3 oz each.  Fish can be tilapia, grouper, salmon, etc..

·       2 tbsp dried oregano

·       1 tbsp dried crushed red pepper flakes

·       ½ cup green olives with pimento, coarsely chopped

·       ¼ cup drained capers

·       1 medium yellow onion diced

·       3 Roma tomatoes, diced and deseeded

·       3 tbsp fresh cilantro, roughly chopped

·       5 tbsp olive oil

·       6 cloves garlic, finely chopped

·       1 lemon juiced

·       Salt and pepper to taste

·       Chopped fresh parsley.

Directions:

Veracruz sauce

1.     In a large sauce pan heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil at medium heat.

2.     Add onions and cook until translucent.  Season onions with a pinch of salt.

3.     Add garlic, and red pepper flakes.  Cook until garlic is light golden brown.  Be careful not to burn the garlic.

4.     Add olives, capers, tomatoes, oregano, and cilantro. Season with a pinch of salt.  Simmer for 10 minutes.

5.     Add lemon juice.  Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.  Taste and verify if additional salt is needed.

6.     Turn off heat and set sauce aside.

Fish

1.     Pat dry fish fillets.

2.     Season with salt and pepper on both sides.

3.     Heat a large skillet or griddle (pan with ridges) with 3 tablespoons of olive oil at medium-high heat.

4.     Add fillets to pan.  Cook each side for 3 minutes or as appropriate for thickness of fish.  Only flip the fish once so that they will sear and be golden in appearance.

5.     Turn off heat and set aside.

6.     Place fish on a large plate, then pour Veracruz sauce on top.  Garnish with fresh parsley.

Outcomes