AnsweredAssumed Answered

Have you tried managing an HUS 100 Family SAN from an HCS/SNM2 install over a long distance?

Question asked by Joseph Latuscha on Jan 30, 2014
Latest reply on Jan 31, 2014 by Cris Danci

I'm surely not the only one suffering from this pain.  I have two HUS 130 systems, separated by 1500 miles that communicate over a 1GB Point-to-Point connection.  When trying to perform almost any function from my HCS/SNM2 installation against this remote system, it is beyond painfully slow.  For instance, I had to update 4 Host Groups, it took almost an hour to complete, waiting for the screen to repaint in SNM2. 

The only suggestion I have been given so far is that we should install a second instance of SNM2 in our remote location, and manually run tasks from within that instance when needed.  This is all well and good, but when 75% of the work that I do needs to be done in SNM2 it really makes it hard to believe in this "solution"  (because the functionality just ins't there yet in HCS, like Snapshot setup and management, advanced host group management, local volume migration and replication, etc...).

Does anyone out there have any suggestions to optimizing SNM2 to actually function over a relatively high speed/high bandwidth long distant connection?  I'd really like to avoid having to rely on managing two installations of SNM2.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Outcomes