Jakub Erne

HDLM for VMware - installation

Discussion created by Jakub Erne on Jan 9, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 15, 2015 by ERIEK REGANDONO

Hello Guys,

I am doing next step in Hitachi Adventure Cup and gone through HDLM for VMware. This step is probably the simplest one I have made with HDS .

There is two ways to install HDLM agents on ESXi's. You can go through a pain and do it exactly like in "Hitachi Dynamic Link Manager software user guide for VMware" or choose a simple path do it by the VMware Update Manager.

I chose Update Manager way because I know it and I used it before when I was installing PowerPath Plugin for EMC Storage Arrays.

Let's begin:

Phase ONE - installation HDLM Agent on a vCenter

Prerequisites - vSphere CLI installed on vCenter

1. Grab multipathing installer called HDLM_VMware from DVD and copy it to you vCenter,

2. Just run Setup.exe and follow on screen commands. Do not force HDLM installator to install it to "c:\program files" it's not recommended, choose c:\program files(x86) instead.

3. During installation paste a license key, of course.

4. After successful installation run CMD with as Admin and run and you should get followed info:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI>dlnkmgr -l view -sys

HDLM Version                : 8.1.0-00

Service Pack Version        :

HDLM Manager Ver        WakeupTime

Alive        8.1.0-00  2015/01/01 16:12:04

License Type Expiration

Permanent    -

KAPL01001-I The HDLM command completed normally. Operation name = view, completion time = 2015/01/09 13:57:27

but you can get this

HDLM Version                : 8.1.0-00

Service Pack Version        :

HDLM Manager Ver        WakeupTime

Dead

License Type Expiration

Permanent    -

KAPL01001-I The HDLM command completed normally. Operation name = view, completion time = 2015/01/09 13:58:30

If you get the second output go to services.msc and start service DLMManagerVM, after that re-run previous command and should get proper output with status Alive

Phase TWO - HDLM Agent installation on ESXi's

This step is about adding *.zip package to Update Manager and install it automatically.

1. Get the *.zip file from location C:\Program Files (x86)\HITACHI\DynamicLinkManagerForVMware\plugin\hdlm-xxxxxxxx.zip

2. Start vSphere Client and go to Update Manager

3. Choose "Patch Repository" tab and click Import Patches, find mentioned *.zip file and go through wizard.  Supports Hitachi arrays. patch should appear in "Patch Repository"

4. After that go to "Baselines and groups" and above the left pane click Create and make a new baselin with proper name and "Host Extension" selected as Baseline Type, on the second screen search for Supports Hitachi arrays. add it and go to finish line.

5. When you have this Baseline made add it to All baseline group or make another one, as you wish.

6. Update your host.

That's all folks!

Next guide will be for HGLM and VMware.

Regards,

cr8us

Outcomes