Any one help me out how to migrate Netapp Fas to VSPG100 storage
1) You don't Need to Change any Portsettings on Netapp Side. For the FAS the G1000 is like a Host connected to a LUN. 2) I can share my Migration Check List i have used for Windows Hosts. But please take it as it is, you will have to adapt a few things, it is also possible that there are steps which aren't necessary, but it worked that way for us. I won't take any responsibility if something goes wrong. You should test it with an Testserver before you try any productive one.
What are some specifics for the migration?
-Migration in same datacenter?
-Data Ontap Version, C-dot or 7mode
-NAS or SAN
-Aggregate/ Volume size
-Is the data on Luns, Vmware Datastores, cifs shares, etc?
Thanks for your reply . here i mentioned the details
1) its same data center - we are planning to do by storage visualization.
2) We are using Netapp FAS3250
3) Its fully SAN environment
4) Its total 160 TB in different aggregate
5) data on luns
Lets ask a few folks for insights for additional learning
Michael Ratner Seth Faber
i would say it strongly depends on the Hosts that are using the Storage. If you have mainly VMware, i would suggest vmotion. No downtime. For Windows Servers with big LUNs and only a short downtime you can only use Storagevirtualization. We used that to when we migrated from FAS6xxx to HUSVM. Worked great. But you Need a short downtime. Of course you can Storagevirtualization all the way.
For Linux, Solaris or AIX you can use their kinds of "LVMs".
Thanks for your reply
Can I have that high level steps which you followed for Netapp to HusVm by storage virtualization . We also decide to go for storage virtualization,
Also let me know for this migration do we need to change any settings in Netapp box?? if yes pls explain ?
Thanks in advance for your kind help on this
- first you will have to Zone the VSPG1000 External Ports to your Netapp Ports
- On Netapp Side you'll have to create a Host with the external Port WWNs of your G1000
- Create a Hostgroup on G1000 for the Host which Accesses the LUNs on your FAS
- When you do the Switch you should stop Server IO and take the LUNs offline from the Server POV
- Unmap the LUNs for Netapp/Host
- Map the LUNs on Netapp Site for the G1000 (i took care to have the same LUNIDs as for the Host Mapping, don't know if it is realy necessary)
- Then go to the Storage Navigator of your G1000 > Actions > External Storage> Add External Volumes
- Then the question is if you will use GAD? For the HAM we have to use. We mapped the virtualized LDEV to the Host and also to a Host Dummy Group for Syncronization to the S-Vol side.
- Created an equivalent LDEV on the RCU Site. Be Careful and check the Blocksize of the virtualized LUND and use the exact Blocksize for the RCU Site.
- Update the HORCM Files
- Create the HAM Pair. (GAD will differ a Little from the last Steps)
I hope i didn't Forget anything important. I did it that 2 years ago :-)
Thanks miran for your reply.
Pls let me clear below quires
1) Any port settings need to change in Netapp side ?
2) Pls share if you have migration cheklist and pdf for migration steps
just adding one point to your valued input,
on VSP G1000 front end port you have to set the specified port for Netapp virtualization to be initiator instead of target,
thanks for your Input. Of course you are right. i missed that Point because we had that Ports already configured some time ago for the HAM Quorum.
once the virtualization done, data migration need to be started and it will run in the background
Thanks thamer for your inputs..
Can you share me the check list pls
i have a build Doc for visualization technically steps , how i can share it with you?
If you are OK with sharing it publicly you can upload it here as a document.
email@example.com. please share
please mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
it is already attached to my post from 29.09.
Pls clear the below question
1) HOSTS MUST BE POWERED OFF DURING VIRTULIZATION PROCESS ?? Any issue if i attempt to virtualise volumes that are currently in use by hosts
2) Approximate down time requirement and data copy time for 15TB VG (180 luns)from netapp to VSP ?
Retrieving data ...