General Discussion

View Only
  • 1.  G800 code upgrade storage firmware cancel

Posted 04-22-2022 14:06
    We were doing a code upgrade on a G800 and noticed when the update firmware screen popped we had selected an older code so we hit cancel here.    Tried the the update again with the newer code and the upgrade seems to get stuck on the screen Firmware version (storage system) update.   It just says "in progress" and you don't get the  next pop up screen   where it lists DKCmain, CHB etc crrent version new version.    Eventually the screen will time out - with a communication time out several hours later.

When looking at the Controllers they still have the current code on the them they never update to the older code which is expected since we hit cancel.

It seems like something is stuck or a flag needs to be reset.

Any thoughts on how to get around this and start the code upgrade again?

Thanks

------------------------------
    Tim McCuen
    Systems Engineer
    HDSFC2000

• 2.  RE: G800 code upgrade storage firmware cancel

Posted 04-25-2022 00:50
    How about force release the system lock of Storage Navigator? Seems like SN is stuck on some stage and need to be reset as you said.
    And more, did you tried to reboot the SVP or whatever PC SVP S/W is installed on? I think it might help.

Dasom Jung

• 3.  RE: G800 code upgrade storage firmware cancel

Posted 04-25-2022 09:00

rebooted VSP and force release and then rebooted gums.   The incorrect firmware never did load onto the controllers.  I am trying to load newest code for g800   44.  43 is still on the controllers.   seems like maybe a service of something needs to be reset somewhere which will allow the firmware to run.   Do not want to reboot the array that would be a last resort.  Array is still functional and customers can still access data.

Tim McCuen
    Systems Engineer
    HDSFC2000

• 4.  RE: G800 code upgrade storage firmware cancel

Posted 04-25-2022 11:28
    Whats the problem with the existing code on the controllers? It seems like 43 was the operating firmware which have been installed, 44 is the one you want to update to. If you can attach a screenshot, it will be easy to understand the issue.

Dasom Jung

• 5.  RE: G800 code upgrade storage firmware cancel

Posted 04-25-2022 20:46
    I can't send a screenshot but the message says The firmware is being updated.  Wait until the firmware is complete and retry the operation.   The numbers at the bottom of the message are   33361-203116:30162-205057.

Tim McCuen
    Systems Engineer
    HDSFC2000

• 6.  RE: G800 code upgrade storage firmware cancel

Posted 04-25-2022 23:20
    Can not find any article or KB from HV document with the exact error code you provided. However, I found bug#15 in ECN DW800-M076 seems similar bug with your problem.

I've met some F/W update failure issue but it was all manageable since I was able to find resolution from HV KB. I think opening a service case with collected dump is the best option. If you do so, please share the result in this thread. It may help other engineers who will encounter the same issue.

Dasom Jung

• 7.  RE: G800 code upgrade storage firmware cancel

Posted 04-25-2022 23:30
    Tim, I just found my colleague of mine encountered the same issue and was able to resolve the issue with GUM reboot of both controllers. I think rebooting the GUM of both controllers(not simultaneously but sequentially) and force releasing the system lock may help. If it does not work, do the same procedure with MPC not SVP.

Dasom Jung

• 8.  RE: G800 code upgrade storage firmware cancel

Posted 04-26-2022 18:35
    Dasom

I am going to work with Hitachi CE on this tomorrow.  I will let you know how it goes.  Thanks for your help

Tim McCuen
    Systems Engineer
    HDSFC2000