Hitachi Ops Center​

View Only
  • 1.  API Configuration Manager: Can't find hosts/hsds with NO WWN attached

Posted 08-08-2022 08:04

Hi guys,

I use /v1/views/host-wwn-paths to get all my hosts with all the information i need to create an internal HTML report. So far so good, but now i realized that if somebody is creating a host_grp without a WWN attached, this host will NOT be in the output of host-wwn-paths ! Such a host is also not in /v1/views/host-groups-wwns-ldevs-luns-port-wwns.

Is that be design or could it be a bug ? For me it is a bug, such a host should be in that query, simple with an empty wwn record.
    And does somebody knows an easy way to find such a host ?

Yes i know that i could extract all hsds on all ports an then compare witch hsd is not in the output of the host-wwn-paths query. But thats slow and ugly, maybe there is another way ?

Regards,

Daniel

------------------------------
    Daniel Buergin

• 2.  RE: API Configuration Manager: Can't find hosts/hsds with NO WWN attached

Posted 08-08-2022 08:05
    Sorry, version of API-Configuration Manager is 8.3.0

Daniel Buergin

• 3.  RE: API Configuration Manager: Can't find hosts/hsds with NO WWN attached

Posted 08-09-2022 02:31
    Hello Daniel

Both those API end points are about wwns. So I don't think it's a bug, probably by design. What kind of information are you looking for? Would the LUN resource end point not provide you with the information you're perhaps looking for(do you have an example of what you're trying to do)?

https://knowledge.hitachivantara.com/Documents/Management_Software/Ops_Center/API_Configuration_Manager/10.8.x/REST_API_Reference_Guide/06_Volume_allocation#Getting_information_about_LU_paths

With maybe the host group end point:
    https://knowledge.hitachivantara.com/Documents/Management_Software/Ops_Center/API_Configuration_Manager/10.8.x/REST_API_Reference_Guide/06_Volume_allocation#Getting_information_about_host_groups_or_iSCSI_targets

William Jansen van Nieuwenhuizen
    Hitachi Vantara

• 4.  RE: API Configuration Manager: Can't find hosts/hsds with NO WWN attached

Posted 08-09-2022 05:35
    Hi William,

Thanks for the answer. Hm, then HDS should change the design or create another view to get ALL hsds from a disk subsystem regardless if they have ldevs or wwn attached. Yes, i can loop over all ports to get ALL hsds but this is very slow and the "views" are elegant ways to have all the information together.  And since both views start with "host....", i was expecting that they are host centric.

The background is, we create each night for each disk subsystem a HTML report with a lot of information in, and part of that report is a list with all host-storage-domains (hsds) configured. This gives you a good overview if you have old/misconfigured/forgotten hsds on your system.

So i would call it Request-For-Enhancement (RFE) to have a view similar to the once above but with a hsd (host) centric view.

At least update the documentation to make clear that hsds without a wwn attached are NOT in the answer of the two views mentioned in the first message. I asked four collogues what they would expect when they read the documentation and all of them expected the same as i did....

Regards,
    Daniel

Daniel Buergin

• 5.  RE: API Configuration Manager: Can't find hosts/hsds with NO WWN attached

Posted 08-09-2022 07:15
    Daniel

If you'd like you can give me an example of the report you'd like, I can maybe show you how to do it in another way.

Have you had a look at the report builder in Analyzer as an example?

William Jansen van Nieuwenhuizen
    Hitachi Vantara

• 6.  RE: API Configuration Manager: Can't find hosts/hsds with NO WWN attached

Posted 08-09-2022 08:31
    Thanks for the offer, I have a workround, but maybe you have a better idea.

After processing the output of  /v1/views/host-wwn-paths i loop over all defined ldevs (this REST call is also quite quick) and check if one is mapped to a host witch i don't have in my already collected hosts. If I find one, I get the host_grp for only that host and add that host to my report. 
    I am aware of the fact that this will not give me hsds without wwn AND luns, but this is not so important and can be solved later. 

Question to be sure: There is no other way to get ALL hsds than looping over all ports and get all hsds per port right ? Or in other words, what is the fastest way to get all hsds on all ports on array ? Getting 550 hsds on 24 ports takes me about 4min 10s 

Forget it, i should read the documentation better :-) /v1/views/host-groups?\$count=16384&\$query=(hostGroup... is what i was looking for.

I'm happy

Regards,
    Daniel

Daniel Buergin