General Discussion

View Only
  • 1.  Zero Reclaim

Posted 05-26-2022 22:38
    Hi evrybody,

this day ive got problem about zero reclaim,so my environment is VM ware so the case we have delete capacity in vm but ldev in storage not decrease,and iam try in ldev do zero reclaim in status task is completed request ,but in detail ldev still sasme idle,is this  impact cause in my storage enable dedup and compression?need advise

Thank You

------------------------------
    Irsyad Yunanto

• 2.  RE: Zero Reclaim

Posted 05-30-2022 05:49
    Hello Irsyad

Some questions:
    • What kind of host mode options do you have enabled on the host groups?
    • What version of ESXi?
    • What version of SVOS and array are you using?
    • Do you perhaps have screenshot of before and after?

Are you for instance using Host Mode Option 114 as described here:
    https://knowledge.hitachivantara.com/Documents/Management_Software/SVOS/9.1.x/Volume_Management_-_VSP_G130%2C_G%2F%2FF350%2C_G%2F%2FF370%2C_G%2F%2FF700%2C_G%2F%2FF900/Host_Attachment/01_Host_modes_and_host_mode_options

William Jansen van Nieuwenhuizen
    Hitachi Vantara

• 3.  RE: Zero Reclaim

Posted 05-30-2022 06:12
      |   view attached
    Some questions:
    • What kind of host mode options do you have enabled on the host groups?ans ihave  ready set in each host group with mode 54, 63 &114
    • What version of ESXi?6.7
    • What version of SVOS and array are you using?93-05-04
    • Do you perhaps have screenshot of before and after? In capture below after i do running reclaim in status v vol management task no  information usually have info like waiting or etc but this blank.can you help? Inthis storage enable feature dedup n compression is this influence zero reclaim cant running?

• 4.  RE: Zero Reclaim

Posted 05-30-2022 07:00
    Hello

Sorry I dont really understand this:
     In capture below after i do running reclaim in status v vol management task no  information usually have info like waiting or etc but this blank.can you help? Inthis storage enable feature dedup n compression is this influence zero reclaim cant running?

Are you able to kickoff the ZPR operation on the pool? Does it complete ok?

Hitachi Vantara

• 5.  RE: Zero Reclaim

Posted 05-30-2022 07:08
    Yes william, i running zero reclaim in vvol ldev ,where specific have max 99 %capacity .bacause when iam try running zpr in other storage let say G800 series, Zpr can running well.

• 6.  RE: Zero Reclaim

Posted 05-30-2022 07:15
    Thanks,

Sorry I'm unsure about how to help you best, without some input and screenshots.

The potential issue you're facing is also unclear to me from the posts up to this point. Maybe work with our support personal that can take a look over your shoulder and maybe advise you better.

Best Regards

Hitachi Vantara

• 7.  RE: Zero Reclaim

Posted 05-30-2022 07:19
      |   view attached
    Hi william, I found read this if feature dedupe and compression active or enable, so ZRP can't be running or not work?right?

• 8.  RE: Zero Reclaim

Posted 05-30-2022 09:14
    Hello

Yes if these are ADR volumes, ZPR would not affect it. Garbage collection would clear invalidated pages in time, if the cleared data is significant but this is not something you cant trigger for instance with ZPR. If you want to clear this quickly(lets say to delete all the data), you could for instance disable dedupe so that it rehydrates the data, clear's it and then re-enable it before adding more data, or just wait for garbage collection in time to do it's job.

ADR data is potentially shared in the entire pool. This is something Garbage collection does, to ensure that the data isn't used elsewhere. If it is, it obviously wont clear the data. If it can, it would invalidate the data, and then clear it with ADR garbage collection.

Hitachi Vantara

• 9.  RE: Zero Reclaim

Posted 05-30-2022 09:23
    Great,

Thank you william for advise and can discuss(• ▽ •;)