AnsweredAssumed Answered

Thin image how to question

Question asked by Viet Phan on Aug 21, 2017
Latest reply on Sep 5, 2017 by Viet Phan

Hello,

I’m starting playing with in-system thin image snapshots (not clone) on the VSP G600. I’m using Device Manager and following Thin Image User Guide. However the doc is not very intuitive.

I have a TI pool created but not able to create or associate any LDEV (V-Vol) to that pool. The TI pool also doesn't show up in Command Suite (maybe by design!?), but I can see it in Storage Nav. Anyway, after TI pool done, I created 3 v-vols using the LDEV wizard, they are the same size/blocks to P-vol. After the creation of these V-vols, I see them label as snapshot volume, they don’t seem to associate to any pool. I don’t see an option to put them in my TI pool created earlier.

So when I create a TI pair, it gives me a warning “There is no LDEV that can be assigned to a secondary volume”, but it let me finish creating TI pairs anyhow. So I assume that you can create a TI pair even with that warning. But I’m confused of what V-Vols my TI pairs are using. How are my snapshot volumes I created get used or what are their purpose? Am I missing something?

Outcomes