View Only

Exchange 2016 Journalling with HCP SMTP

• General
  • Development
  • Object Storage
  • Hitachi Content Platform HCP
Data Conversion's profile image
Data Conversion posted 01-10-2019 20:26

Anyone have any good instructions on how to configure Exchange 2016 with Journalling that writes to HCP?

#HitachiContentPlatformHCP
#Development
Thomas Massano's profile image
Thomas Massano

I as recall from previous versions of Exchange it very simple.

I found a Exchange 2013 Eval version, you want me to set it up in my lab and give you the step by step?

It may not be exactly the same as Exchange 2016.

Data Conversion

Likely 2013 and 2016 are very similar with this respect. I'm very new to Exchange, so still ramping up. So if you think you can figure it out with 2013, that would be great!

Rowayne Grewan's profile image
Rowayne Grewan

We have deployed HCP for Exchange 2013 and created this document a while ago . Maybe of some assistance for Exchange 2016 as well.

https://hcpanywhere.hitachivantara.com/a/fbjeD1m43otvuN4Z/CONFIGURING%20EXCHANGE%202013%20to%20HCP%20FOR%20SMTP%20JOURNAL%20ARCHIVING.docx?l

Thomas Massano

I got it working with 2016 in my lab!

I just saw your post Rowayne, I took a quick look at the document, and it looks the same as 2016.

So Clifford Grimm this document should work for you!

Data Conversion

Much appreciated guys!  This certainly is different than the approach I was taking.

Thomas Massano

I'm still going to document mine, as I did it all via the Exchange Command Shell, not the GUI.

From a high level, Exchange mailbox servers have databases that house the messages, it can have multiple DBs that create a DAG (Database Availability Group).

One form of journaling is at the DB level, every message that is written to the DB is also sent to an email user as the journal.

High Level Steps:

Create a remote domain (PostOffice1.Exch.HCP1.di.lab) so the journaled messages can be sent to the HCP

Create a Mail Contact (Journal1) in Active Directory to use External Mail Address of journal1@postoffice1.exch.hcp1.di.lab

Then you setup a SEND Connector to tell Exhange when it encounters this domain PostOffice1.Exch.hcp1.di.lab  to send it to this host PostOffice1.Exch.hcp1.di.lab

Last is assign Journal1@postoffice1.exch.hcp1.di.lab to the Exchange database as the journal user.

Now EVERY message that is written to that Exhange database is also sent to journal1 -> journal1@postoffice1.exch.hcp1.di.lab on the HCP (which is setup to act like an SMTP Mail server to accept messages)

Data Conversion