General Discussion

View Only
  • 1.  trying to break up a soft zone and creating a hard zone but hdlm won't bring in the new path

Posted 05-17-2022 08:44
    Windows server going to brocade 6505, currently have a soft zone where the storage port is on one side of the fabric but the server is soft zoned from the other side. I offlined the current soft zone and onlined the hard zone. Refreshed the G400 array, got the wwn of the server and created host group and added lun paths. Rebooted the server but HDLM is not seeing the new path, tried inactivating the zone and re-activating but still nothing. Any ideas? Thanks much for any help.

------------------------------
    Edward Leach
    HelpDesk Support
    Bear Stearns Company, Incorporated

• 2.  RE: trying to break up a soft zone and creating a hard zone but hdlm won't bring in the new path

Posted 05-18-2022 08:25
    Hello Edward

Did you enable LUN Security on the port where the host groups were created? 

Can you do an fcping from the switch and confirm you can see both ends?

Maybe post your port configuration and your host group configuration.

William Jansen van Nieuwenhuizen
    Hitachi Vantara

• 3.  RE: trying to break up a soft zone and creating a hard zone but hdlm won't bring in the new path

Posted 05-18-2022 08:42

That's for the response Bill, yes port security is on and here is the zones itself. As you can see I have connectivity on both ends, this is a 2 fabric connection. 1st fabric for port 1a caused issues also so I deleted the wwn for the server out of the soft zone and I was able to get the 1st to show up after some time, tried the same with the redundant 2a path but this time nothing.

DISCLAIMER
    This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential, proprietary privileged and/or private information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or intended recipient's authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail and all attachments immediately..

• 4.  RE: trying to break up a soft zone and creating a hard zone but hdlm won't bring in the new path

Posted 05-18-2022 08:54
    Could you ping the 2 end points using fcping on the command line?

What administration utility are you using? If you're using an up to date administrator you can see in the WWNN List if the host ports can be seen on the storage ports.

Hitachi Vantara

• 5.  RE: trying to break up a soft zone and creating a hard zone but hdlm won't bring in the new path

Posted 05-18-2022 10:11
    Bill thank you for your time currently I'm offsite and will get back to you shortly

Ed

• 6.  RE: trying to break up a soft zone and creating a hard zone but hdlm won't bring in the new path

Posted 05-18-2022 13:55
    Yes William, I can see both ends. Here's the complete scoop, initial I had the server (drsanbk06) going to 2 switch fabrics (sw36/136 first fabric and sw37/137 the second) only on 1 zone each was created on the principle switches 36/37, the storage existed on the principle switches but the server on the secondary. So they were soft zoned to join the two storage ports to the server, because of the way it was created it was using the ISL to transfer the data. I requested 2 additional fiber cables ran for storage  to the principle switches so that I could join them (hard zone) and no longer use the ISL. When I created the hard zones prior to activating I removed the old zones, activated the hard zones and refreshed the array and rebooted the server. The server did not pick up the new paths initially but eventually I got the one path to display but can't get the second path to show up on the server. The storage array has the new ports with luns added to them, the switch does see all wwn's and zones are active but the second path (2a) is still not showing on the server. So I down to one path on the server and because of redundancy I need the other path. Sorry for the lengthy explanation but I believe now you have the whole picture. Thanks again

Edward Leach
    HelpDesk Support
    Bear Stearns Company, Incorporated

• 7.  RE: trying to break up a soft zone and creating a hard zone but hdlm won't bring in the new path

Posted 05-19-2022 02:26
    Hello

Could it be that the SFP is faulty or the cable needs to be swapped around. If you did an FCping it should rule it out. Could you see the WWN logged in on the storage ports?

Did you check that all the switch ports are licensed?

Sometimes if you disable the port, do a rescan and then enable a port, and rescan again it might help the initiator to login again to the switch.

Without outputs or screen grabs, best I can do is give advice, alternatively open a support case so an engineer can look along side yourself. Often having a second pair of eyes helps in spotting a problem.

Hitachi Vantara

• 8.  RE: trying to break up a soft zone and creating a hard zone but hdlm won't bring in the new path

Posted 05-19-2022 07:25

Morning William/Group, the problem has been resolved and I'm a little embarrassed how simple it was to resolve. The port on the storage array was cycled which in turn released the hold it had on the prior member, thank you all so much for your involvement and assistance. I wish you all a wonderful weekend.

DISCLAIMER
    This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential, proprietary privileged and/or private information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or intended recipient's authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail and all attachments immediately..