Jetty version from PDI 9.3 and CVE-2020-27216

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Jetty version from PDI 9.3 and CVE-2020-27216

Posted 10-31-2022 03:39

Hi

I have been recently aware of this CVE-2020-27216:

CVE-2020-27216 Detail

Current Description

In Eclipse Jetty versions 1.0 thru 9.4.32.v20200930, 10.0.0.alpha1 thru 10.0.0.beta2, and 11.0.0.alpha1 thru 11.0.0.beta2O, on Unix like systems, the system's temporary directory is shared between all users on that system. A collocated user can observe the process of creating a temporary sub directory in the shared temporary directory and race to complete the creation of the temporary subdirectory. If the attacker wins the race then they will have read and write permission to the subdirectory used to unpack web applications, including their WEB-INF/lib jar files and JSP files. If any code is ever executed out of this temporary directory, this can lead to a local privilege escalation vulnerability.

It affects Jetty version embedded with PDI 9.3 ./lib/jetty-server-9.4.18.v20190429.jar

On my environment cartes are containerized so there should be no risk of a collocated  user doing bad things.

I would like to hear your comments on this matter.

Thanks for your time

------------------------------
    Juan Sierra Pons
    Systems Engineer
    Juan Sierra Pons

• 2.  RE: Jetty version from PDI 9.3 and CVE-2020-27216

Posted 11-02-2022 02:21
    Juan,

As you have already described the CVE and the way Pentaho is being used in your use case, where no web application is deployed or executing any code from temp directory you shouldn't be vulnerable to this attack.
    Due to this and many other CVE's, this older version of Jetty needs to be upgraded and we hope to see the version upgraded at the earliest.

Sandeep Chinaga Kemparaju
    Application Architecture Engineering - Manager
    Hitachi Vantara