As you are planning to migrate your SAP ECC and BW applications to the latest SAP HANA based applications (S/4HANA and BW/4HANA), the first question in your mind is: How can I harness the full value from the migration to get better performance for SAP applications using the next generation infrastructure and increase ROI?
SAP customers who want to grow and accelerate their business, remove inefficiencies, and take full advantage of many new compelling features in SAP HANA should move forward with migration as far in advance of the deadline of end-of-support for non-HANA based SAP applications as possible, because of the long time required to plan and implement the migration.
Consolidation of applications and infrastructure can be achieved during migration to SAP HANA applications, while also eliminating costly silos that impede productivity. For example, a customer could move from 5 Regional SAP ECC systems to a single Global SAP S/4HANA.1
The need for flexibility to respond to continuous growth in applications, data, and for system consolidation will likely exceed the current memory limitation for SAP S/4HANA. The new Hitachi Solution for SAP Platform removes the memory limitations and is therefore ideal for migrating to SAP S/4HANA use cases.
Announcing the New Hitachi Solution for SAP Platform:
Hitachi Advanced Server DS7160 (16 Socket, 24 TB)
Scalability, flexibility, and performance for mission-critical SAP HANA applications
The Hitachi Solution for the SAP HANA Platform using Hitachi Advanced Server DS7160 and Virtual Storage Platform 5500 provides an unmatched combination of scalability, flexibility, and performance for mission-critical SAP HANA applications. When combined with the SAP Certified Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform (VSP) portfolio, the solution can scale up to 222 HANA nodes in capacity and scale out for performance. This provides a massive consolidation of workloads for cost savings and unparalleled performance, efficiency, and reliability.
- Scale-up with modular growth and large memory: Hitachi Advanced Server DS7000 single node can scale up in 2-socket increments from 2 to 16 sockets and from 384 GB to 24 TB of memory for SAP HANA. This enables businesses to start small and grow their SAP HANA environments as needed. For instance, you can start small with a 2 socket 384 GB server in an 8S Compute box (DS7080) and, as you grow, can perform a field upgrade to DS7160 (16 Sockets, 24 TB) with pluggable 2 socket modules.
Fig 1: Field upgrade to scale-up to 16 sockets from an initial 8 sockets investment
2 SAP Note
- Lower TCO: The solution is available in the increments of 2 sockets and with both Intel® Xeon® Gold Processors or Intel® Xeon® Platinum Processors to optimize TCO for the SAP HANA workloads by reducing overprovisioning.
- Flexibility of deployment: The solution is available as an appliance with all the required hardware and software preinstalled and preconfigured, as well as an SAP HANA Tailored Datacenter Integration (TDI) solution enabling customization.
- Consolidate to reduce equipment costs: Hardware partitioning support in DS7160 divides server resources into multiple server entities where OS and applications work independently. Servers can be divided at 2-socket module basis into multiple physically independent server entities. Any workload increases, or even a failure in one partition, does not affect other partitions. You can configure the systems over the lifecycle of the applications and consolidate dev/test/prod in a single system with configurable hardware partitioning for several 2, 4, 6, and 8 socket independent SAP HANA servers, thereby reducing the data center footprint and hardware acquisition expenses.
Fig 2: Partitioning support with SAP HANA
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) support
Hitachi Solution for the SAP HANA Platform is supported on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) for SAP Applications. The solution leverages high availability and auto-failover features from SLES High Availability Extension and RHEL High Availability Add-on. These high availability features provide reliability, scalability, and availability to critical production services. Hitachi provides an Installer and upgrade for SAP HANA 2.0 SPS 4 and SPS 5 for SLES and RHEL for an efficient and optimized installation and upgrade path for customer success. Hitachi Vantara is the only SAP hardware vendor using GFS2 for scale-out /HANA/shared File System using SLES and RHEL for production deployment.
The solution is certified and listed in SAP ICC hardware directory list 2.
More Acquisition Options for More Flexibility: Hitachi EverFlex Acquisition Alternatives
makes it easier to match the best choice for each buying situation:
- Purchase or Lease
- Cloud-like Pay Per Use consumption as a service
Hitachi Solution for SAP HANA Platform using DS7160 empowers you to harness the full value of your migration to SAP HANA by providing unmatched scalability, performance, consolidation, and cost reduction to increase your ROI. Learn more at Infrastructure for SAP HANA.