Achieve modern data protection and recovery operations with Hitachi Solution for Databases with Hitachi Virtual Platform E990 and Hitachi Ops Center Protector
Introducing Hitachi Solution for Databases for Oracle Real Application Clusters on Extended Clusters with Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform E990 and Hitachi Advanced Server DS220. This solution addresses the high availability, performance, and scalability requirements for OLTP and OLAP workloads while leveraging Hitachi Ops Center Protector integration with Oracle RMAN using the SBT interface.
Modern application in both traditional and cloud designs requires continuous availability. Hitachi Solutions for Databases provides proven and predictable architecture that enables you to achieve all your high-performance database business objectives. With Hitachi Virtual Storage platform (VSP)’s all flash portfolio including the VSP E-series provides you –
Configuring Oracle Real Application Clusters on Extended Distance Clusters with global-active device allows you to create and maintain synchronous, remote copies of data volumes on Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform E series storage while maintaining full data consistency and protection.
- 100% Data availability guarantee
- Time-tested performance for your Oracle RAC deployments
- Availability and Scalability
- Reduced storage costs
Business BenefitsThis reference architecture provides the following benefits:
- Continuous server I/O when an unplanned outage, such as disaster or hardware failure, prevents access to a data volume of the database.
- Automated configuration for global-active devices and quick recovery of global-active device pairs in error or suspended state storage operations using a Hitachi Ops Center Protector UI without knowledge of manual Hitachi HORCM configurations.
- Automated pause, resume, two datacenter replication swap, dissociate, revert, teardown, and delete global-active devices using Hitachi Ops Center Protector for planned outages.
- Easy to understand global-active device internal operations using Hitachi Ops Center Protector informative log messages. This helps to quickly identify problems and complete troubleshooting.
- Backup data can be stored in datastores managed by Hitachi Ops Center Protector using Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN) tool.
Solution OverviewThis solution implements Hitachi Solution for Databases for Oracle Real Application Clusters on Extended Distance Clusters on four Hitachi advanced server DS220 nodes using Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform E990. This environment addresses the high availability, performance, and scalability requirements for OLTP and OLAP workloads and how Hitachi Ops Center Protector (formerly Data Instance Director - HDID) used for enhanced data protection and simplifying copy data management, which integrates with Oracle RMAN using the SBT interface.
For more details, please refer our Reference architecture as follows https://www.hitachivantara.com/en-us/pdf/architecture-guide/solution-for-databases-oracle-rac-database-19c-with-advanced-server-ds220-gad-using-vsp-e990-ops-center-protector.pdfThe high-level storage configuration diagram for this solution is as follows
Protect your data with efficient management
- Key observations from test results show that this reference architecture built with Virtual Storage Platform E990 and Hitachi Advanced Server DS220 delivers nonstop operations with synchronous data replication (DR) and ensure superior disaster recovery (DR).
- It reduces Total Cost of Ownership (TOC) by using a virtualized volume for quorum disk in a global-active device environment, as it eliminates dependency on external storage and Fibre Channel and network connections for external storage.
- Hitachi Ops Center Protector provides robust features and an easy web user interface to create, manage, and administer global-active device pairs to achieve higher data protection and performance for Oracle Database environments.
- Hitachi Ops Center Protector integrates with Oracle RMAN using the SBT interface, which allows the database administrator to store data in datastores managed by Protector. The integration leverages Protector’s Unified Backup Infrastructure to enable the RMAN backup to both on-site and cloud targets in a flexible and efficient way.
Special Thanks to Eduardo Freitas for providing valuable feedback for the blog draft.