Pentaho

View Only

SQLServer use of NOLOCK

• Pentaho
  • Pentaho
Dan Keeley's profile image
Dan Keeley posted 09-28-2018 09:37

So, it turns out in SQLServer if a row is locked (in a transaction etc) then it also blocks queries by default.

To me that's kind of astonishing, as it means queries in PDI and in the front end will appear to hang, pretty much randomly.

In fact, i only discovered this because our legacy app servers make extensive use of the

WITH (NOLOCK)

Syntax - Turns out, this is exactly why.

But; I'm not really a fan of putting hints into SQL queries, especially not routinely. So do others do this? or is there a better way?

You can read detail about it here:

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2470/understanding-the-sql-server-nolock-hint/

Thanks,

Dan

PS: There's an even more bizarre thing - if you use NOLOCK you can read dirty data, because it sends you the UNCOMITTED data.  That's what the article says anyway, which frankly is just astonishing, so much so i can't help wondering if I've misunderstood it!

#Pentaho
Joao Figueiredo's profile image
Joao Figueiredo

Hi,

the locking of a query because of uncommitted rows is a side effect of the isolation level, and is very useful to prevent row reads that are not consistent with the existing data (remember that it's a transactional DB, so it should matter the order of things) and ultimately to be able to rollback transactions if needed.

It won't lock at random, in the true sense of random. It will lock if some tx-1 tries to change data and some other tx-2 tries to read that some data that may be commited/rollbacked by tx-1.

If you can't change the isolation level, and you shouldn't do it without perfect understanding of the implications, the best is to avoid queries that may impose contingency at the database level, or in other words... commit changed/added rows ASAP, avoid queries that do full table scans, etc...

Having a long process that spans inserts and/or updates across multiple tables on a heavy used system will for sure bring the application to a crawl (simple listings take forever, etc..). The usage of with(nolock) to hide the problem will raise other issues sooner or later.

Sometimes changing the tables, or adding indexes may help. The first by making sure that the information that is read is not locked by non-related inserts/updates/deletes (a deep understanding of the work flows and technical knowledge is needed to do this correctly). The second may speed up updates/deletes and reads which may reduce some of the contingency up to a degree (but be careful when writing indexes, it may also penalize writes/updates and/or rollbacks).