Pentaho

View Only
  • 1.  Migrating Pentaho Server & Jobs to newer versions

Posted 04-06-2022 11:41
    I understand Pentaho jobs that are created on newer versions of Pentaho are able to run on older Pentaho server versions, but how true is this, and how true is it the other way around? And are there any limitations?

For example, let's say you have Pentaho Server 7 and Pentaho jobs created in Pentaho 7.x, as Pentaho 7 has been deprecated, would you be able to update Pentaho Server to v9.x and still be able to run Pentaho 7 jobs?

And the other way around, having Pentaho Server 7.x, would you be able to run Pentaho 9.x jobs?

------------------------------
    Diego Villalpando
    Systems Engineer

• 2.  RE: Migrating Pentaho Server & Jobs to newer versions

Posted 04-07-2022 07:26
    Hi Diego,
    In my work we have jobs and transformations done with PDI 5.2 running on a Pentaho 6.x server.
    I have imported some of those jobs and transformations into a Pentaho 9.2 server and they have been executed succesfully without any type of change. I have not tried the opposite, considering that version after version, bugs have been fixed, new things have been incorporated. There is probably a conflict if you design jobs/transformations in a newer version of Pentaho and try to run them in an older version.
    Best regards

Carl Messner
    Data Analyst
    MCSF

• 3.  RE: Migrating Pentaho Server & Jobs to newer versions

Posted 04-11-2022 09:47
    Hi Carl,
    In the past I've developed jobs using v9.x and ran them in Server v7.x, the only errors I encountered were missing java classes for Custom Java Class step, it gave me something like: Janinus Compiler Exception "Missing Class". I didn't use every step in Pentaho, but I didn't encounter any other compatibility issue. So I think the most probable steps to fail running newer version jobs on older servers are those that use custom code like Java classes, expressions, and Javascript.
    I'll do more research, and for the sake of contributing I'll add my findings in this thread. I'm specially concerned on running older jobs in newer servers, but I believe that there will be fewer compatibility issues this way.
    Best regards,

Diego Villalpando
    Systems Engineer

• 4.  RE: Migrating Pentaho Server & Jobs to newer versions

Posted 04-11-2022 10:24
    Hello Diego,
    thank you very much for your feedback, it is very useful.
    Possibly the jobs made with Pentaho 7.x, 8x, etc that use javascript or modified java or user defined java should be carefully reviewed to run on older servers.
    It is also convenient when migrating to newer servers, to check if internal variables have been used that may be deprecated in newer versions (for example Internal.Job.Filename.Directory.
    Best regards

Carl Messner
    Data Analyst
    MCSF